Which new lighter rifle for elk

scooterf79

Hey guys,
Im looking to get a new (lighter) rifle for elk hunting, I'll use it for deer too but hiking for elk is my main intention.
There's a couple things Im looking for in it.
1) Lighter weight.... 6lb give or take for bare rifle.
2) Threaded to run my can
3) Short(ish) barrel. 20-22 is what Im thinking.
4) Cartridge...Im a big 280AI fan, but the 6.8 Western has sorta caught my eye.
5) Budget probably in the 1-2k range.

Idea is to probably put something along the lines of VX-3HD 4.5-14X40(approx 13 ounces)
My suppressor weighs approx 14 oz.
So Ill be adding roughly 2lb to weight of bare rifle.

Heres where Im at so far on my research.

Browning X-bolt suppressor ready (made with barrels 4in shorter than standard)
Handled the standard XBolt and it feels nice. The shorter xbolts dont come in 280AI but is available in 6.8 Western with a 20in barrel(Is that too short for this round).

Savage 110 Ultralight
I like this rifle pretty well. Feels nice, really like the proof barrel. It's offered in the 280AI(no 6.8 option) with a 22in barrel. Sticking point for me is that paying that much for the rifle and getting the cheap axis style mag/release setup.

These rifles are 2 Ive actually had my hands on. I think the Browning is probably a better rifle overall but Im not 100% sure about the 20in barrel and 6.8 and Im curious if the 7prc is gonna run the 6.8 out of town....

Ive glanced at Christensen Arms and unless ive missed they dont offer the shorter barrel in either of these rounds and Ive read QC issues are fairly frequent.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Scooter

Between the two you mentioned I would go with the Browning. It's a personal preference thing for me. I've had Savage and Browning. I no longer own a Savage.
The Seekins Element will blow your budget, but if I bought a factory rifle today, that's the direction I would go.
Good luck with your selection.

I'm looking at something similar, in a factory offering.

X-Bolt Suppressor Ready in 7mm PRC is what I'm looking at. Attractive price point. I'm splurging more on glass these days, a little less on the rifle.

There's some short barreled X-Bolts labeled "shot show specials" that will get you a McMillan stock. You have to hunt and search for them online. I haven't seen any available yet.

6.8 Western isn't a bad option but with Hornady behind the 7 PRC, I've got to assume there's just going to be wider adoption by reloading component and ammo makers. I've already seen ADG brass being advertised at some online retailers.

Seekins Element would be very nice as well. If I was to spoil myself, I'd go that route. So, basically, +1 on @nwmnbowhunter comments.

Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it. That Seekins in NIICCEE!!! A little more than I wanting to put in one but....I could wait a little longer ...lol.

I hadn't really thought much about the 7prc. Nothing against it, I think it's gonna be a really good round...and I've got 3 7mm cals in the safe. I did look at the xbolt in it ....20in barrel....might be pretty awesome!
Thanks again guys!!!
Scooter

Just Buy a Tikka SS, 24", T-3 in,. .300 WSM, 7 MM Rem Mag or, .270 WSM then, put another $100 into it ( For, Trigger Spring, Cheek Riser and LimbSaver, recoil Pad ) Plus, Cost of Scope / threading Muzzle AND,.. go Kill chit, ACCURATELY and,. CHEAPLY !
You can have, the .300 WSM Threaded / "cut" shorter ?? for, a Brake ( $75 -$125 ish ) as You'll,.. NEED, it, Braked !
All 3,.. are, RELIABLE,.. Elk Medicine and, Sub 7 3/4 Pounds, Scope Dependent !
And, Tikka's will,.. "Shoot",.. GUARANTEED !
Put the rest of your Money into, GOOD,. Optic's

Last edited:
I've got the Savage Ultralight in 280 AI, and I think it's a solid mountain rifle. The stock is decent, I like the adjustable comb height. The AccuTrigger is finicky, so I took out the safety blade, and it's very consistent now. You could accomplish the same thing with a Timney trigger. It's easy to develop loads for, I have 3 recipes in the 160-162 bullet weight range that are below .500 moa. You won't be disappointed with the Ultralight.

Last edited:
I've heard the Tikkas shoot really well. I handled one at the range a while back I was really surprised how smooth the action felt for a factory rifle.

I've got the Savage Ultralight in 280 AI, and I think it's a solid mountain rifle. The stock is decent, I like the adjustable comb height. The AccuTrigger is finicky, so I took out the safety blade, and it's very consistent now. You could accomplish the same thing with a Timney trigger. It's easy to develop loads for, I have 3 recipes in the 160-162 bullet weight range that are below .500 moa. You won't be disappointed with the Ultralight.
I knew someone would do this! to bring up the ultralight in 280AI....🤣.
Seriously though, I've heard alot of people talk about how good they shoot.
The only issue that I'd call finicky with Accu triggers with any of mine have been on my 17 hornet. Setting it too low gets it acting funny.
What's your thoughts on the magazine since you seemed to have shot it a bit?

It sounds like you will be in good shape until you make a decision. Be careful. If you hang out here too much, you'll be planning a custom rifle build. I'm planning my second one now.
Shhh!!! I know!!! I'm trying to not to! 😉

Thanks again for the input guys, I appreciate it. Sorry the delayed response, this work thing gets in the way...lol
Scooter

I've heard the Tikkas shoot really well. I handled one at the range a while back I was really surprised how smooth the action felt for a factory rifle.
I hope you get a good one and never need to send it in for warranty. My experience with Beretta USA was very disappointing and cost me money to boot.

That Seekins in NIICCEE!!!
They're very nice, mine shoots great. Side by side with an X-Bolt I'd choose the Seekins. The Seekins stock isn't anything special, but the factory Browning stock was bad enough I got a McMillian replacement.

I'm already ordering a new barrel blank for the X-Bolt after about 800 rounds, not worth the hassle of fighting it. The Seekins runs Hornady factory ammo better than the Browning runs handloads that aren't perfectly tuned.

I knew someone would do this! to bring up the ultralight in 280AI....🤣.
Seriously though, I've heard alot of people talk about how good they shoot.
The only issue that I'd call finicky with Accu triggers with any of mine have been on my 17 hornet. Setting it too low gets it acting funny.
This is my first Savage, and I hated the accutrigger. The rifle shipped from the factory, I took it out for break in, and it must-fired 50% of the time. Click, but no bang.

I took it back to Cabela's, they sent it back to Savage. Got it back in a few weeks, said it was fixed. Took it out, same thing. I was not happy.

Getting ready to send it back again, was scouring the internet for answers. Someone said check the draw setting on the trigger. It was 1 lb!

Set it to 2-1/2 lbs, no mis-fire since. But I still hated the trigger blade so I took it out. A lawyer's nightmare. I'll never have it set less than 2-1/2.

Sorry, just noticed this question. Really, this is my first hunting rifle with a magazine, and it seems to work fine. I bought a second magazine just to make sure I have one in my gun case in the field. The plastic release clip seems a little flimsy, but it hasn't broke. What did break was the plastic trigger guard that anchors the action screws. I noticed it cracked, and I replaced it with a metal trigger guard. That's not a good place to try and save weight.

Attachments

• 76A47194-6B2D-4ECC-98CC-9AE8B9BE34F1.jpeg
    76A47194-6B2D-4ECC-98CC-9AE8B9BE34F1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • BE1713A6-DC2E-47F6-A0EC-3FE6D4F957EA.jpeg
    BE1713A6-DC2E-47F6-A0EC-3FE6D4F957EA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31