Which 6mm for coworker's new rifle

Jim settled the stock questions

View attachment 404782
Good to hear, I figured you could order one custom from them and they would do it, but remember 2 things so you are not surprised, the fore arm is a wide beaver tail style fore end and buy the time you receive the stock with the wait time these days of a year or more( I know they say 8 months but its been going 12+months) The 8 year old will probably be fine with a regular length stock that would save a lot of weight. Just food for thought. Either way you can't go wrong with a Manners stock, they are all I use now.

With the 6mm Remington down the road, you might look at the 6mm Remington AI... is a really nice cartridge... https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek042/

I do have experience with the .243 WSSM and found it to be an outstanding 6mm, I was using it in LR 1k matches out of a custom Mod 70 photos. I think it would be great in a sporting rifle, never could understand why it didn't get more love.

View attachment 404313View attachment 404314
240 Weatherby still rocks. Just needs 8 twist. 😎

Yes, it does! ;) The potential of the .240 Wby Mag in my book is unlimited as a 6mm/.243 cal.
I don't understand why Weatherby won't come out with at least a 8 twist 240. I would think they would sale like crazy. They are still the fastest 243, they just need faster twist to handle the heavy's. I would buy another one. 😎

I don't understand why Weatherby won't come out with at least a 8 twist 240. I would think they would sale like crazy. They are still the fastest 243, they just need faster twist to handle the heavy's. I would buy another one. 😎
It might be a magazine OAL with a cartridge/bullet combo problem(s) using the heavy longer bullets in the MkV model that they have now. Most standard sporting rifle magazines were never designed for the long stuff we see today, so they fire them single shot or take into a gunsmith to length out the magazine if possible. Just my 0.2 Cheers

It might be a magazine OAL with a cartridge/bullet combo problem(s) using the heavy longer bullets in the MkV model that they have now. Most standard sporting rifle magazines were never designed for the long stuff we see today, so they fire them single shot or take into a gunsmith to length out the magazine if possible. Just my 0.2 Cheers
Howdy, you might be right, I don't know. And yes the 6 creed is a good cartridge, I have one and it is sweet. But for high performance, leaving the wildcats out, the 240 bee is still the queen. Remington and Winchester has let Hornady create new caliber with no competition. I'm hoping Weatherby will keep up. It's too their demise to let that happen. They been working on the bigger calibers. I'm hoping there working on the smaller cal. 240, 257, even 270. That would be great. 😎👍

Howdy, you might be right, I don't know. And yes the 6 creed is a good cartridge, I have one and it is sweet. But for high performance, leaving the wildcats out, the 240 bee is still the queen. Remington and Winchester has let Hornady create new caliber with no competition. I'm hoping Weatherby will keep up. It's too their demise to let that happen. They been working on the bigger calibers. I'm hoping there working on the smaller cal. 240, 257, even 270. That would be great. 😎👍
Ok, so why do you think the .240 Bee is so much better than the .240 Wby Mag, really the .240 Wby Mag is nothing more than a .30-06 with a belt on it, double radius shoulder, neck to .243? and about as overbore as a 6mm can get without getting to the point of completely being inefficient, you know... kinda like the .244 H&H. Your thought? Cheers

Is ".240 Bee" shorthand for a cartridge, because it sure sounds like a wildcat to me. Not that this is a concern, just that it's being held out as a common/commercial chambering.

Definitely won't be the ARC, been down that road and wasn't impressed.

It's going to be one of the 4 previously mentioned, I smooth forgot about the 6mm Remington.

I think, actually, I am taking the 6mm GT off the list.

Can you shoehorn a 6mm Remington into a true short action? It looks like a promising candidate.

View attachment 404248
I grew up using a 6mm Remington. I was going to buy one but they literally wanted too much. I am building 3 - 6mm ARC's right now. Not sure what I will do about brass. I may end up forming from Grendel Basic Brass.

The 6cm is probably the easy button but I lean to less common stuff just to be differnt. My next build will be a 6mm but I plan to build it in 6x47 Lapua.

Quality Lapua brass that sizes with a simple pass through the dies that rarely needs trimming and with a tad of care is just about indestructible. Shorter case then the CM allows pretty much any bullet to be used without issue to COAL's and it runs within 75-100 fps of the 6 CM while using less powder.

Last edited:
Oops, I didn't catch the early American colloquialism, I'm bad! 😔;) Cheers

Recent Posts