Which new lighter rifle for elk

6.8W xbolt sr looks pretty sweet to me. Some really good factory loads available for it and very accurate in my rifle. The christensen arms fft mesa looks pretty good too to run suopressor. Can get that one in 7 prc or 6.8W. I think both are good rounds and would work great. I personally prefer the 6.8W in a lighter gun as have had my fill of 180gr bullets at 2950-3000 fps in 30 cal magnums in light guns. In any case, The 7prc will not run the 6.8W out of town. There is plenty of market for both. The 270 and 7mm rem mag were both supremely popular for a long time after all.

Lou

I would do a 280 AI in an ultralite and then change the trigger to a rifle basix if you don't like the accutrigger. I like the accutriggers just fine tho.
Anymore I am only doing customs but if I was buying factory in that budget that's what I would do.

I have the Kimber Pro Blak in .280AI , and a Savage Ultralight in 28 Nosler . I changed the trigger to Trigger Tech on the Kimber , it is a lot better . I like the ergonomics of the Savage better , mainly the feel of the grip/stock , though the action is raspy . Both guns shoot great , IMO . I have the accu-trigger as low as it will go and never have a problem with it . I have heavy scopes on both guns , and both are just about 8lbs , I believe

I have the Kimber Pro Blak in .280AI , and a Savage Ultralight in 28 Nosler . I changed the trigger to Trigger Tech on the Kimber , it is a lot better . I like the ergonomics of the Savage better , mainly the feel of the grip/stock , though the action is raspy . Both guns shoot great , IMO . I have the accu-trigger as low as it will go and never have a problem with it . I have heavy scopes on both guns , and both are just about 8lbs , I believe
I forget who makes them but you can by a lighter spring for the accutrigger that makes it just right.

Threw my accutrigger in a bin and been pretty happy. Went with a Rifle Basix a really really good trigger. Timney makes one now, hard to go wrong there, but if I were ever to buy another Savage I would order an Elf the same day.

Off topic, I know, but just want to comment on how refreshing it is to find a site where posters give honest impressions of experiences with firearms, both pro and con, without feeling the need to totally trash brands which they do not prefer. Some, certainly not all, on other sites ( " Sniper`s...something or other comes to mind ) seem more interested in posting back handed insults at fellow posters than they do in making a meaningful or helpful post. So far, really enjoy it here!

I hope you get a good one and never need to send it in for warranty. My experience with Beretta USA was very disappointing and cost me money to boot.
In the shotgun world, Beretta USA is infamous for having one of, if not the, worst customer service departments in the firearms industry. As far as excellent customer service, can`t imagine any better than CG/ Fabarm. Unfortunately, they don`t make rifles!

6.8W xbolt sr looks pretty sweet to me. Some really good factory loads available for it and very accurate in my rifle. The christensen arms fft mesa looks pretty good too to run suopressor. Can get that one in 7 prc or 6.8W. I think both are good rounds and would work great. I personally prefer the 6.8W in a lighter gun as have had my fill of 180gr bullets at 2950-3000 fps in 30 cal magnums in light guns. In any case, The 7prc will not run the 6.8W out of town. There is plenty of market for both. The 270 and 7mm rem mag were both supremely popular for a long time after all.

Lou
Hopped the website and checked out the mesa fft ....I like it...lol. I must have missed it doing my research.

Off topic, I know, but just want to comment on how refreshing it is to find a site where posters give honest impressions of experiences with firearms, both pro and con, without feeling the need to totally trash brands which they do not prefer. Some, certainly not all, on other sites ( " Sniper`s...something or other comes to mind ) seem more interested in posting back handed insults at fellow posters than they do in making a meaningful or helpful post. So far, really enjoy it here!
I agree, good group here...that's why I asked these guys. They've always been good to help out.

Well, I might to take that back, now I've got more decisions to make...maybe I should buy one of each that way I'll know for sure...🤣

I've been pleased with my accu-triggers so far. I've used the rifle basix triggers in all of my non accu-trigger Savages...

That's one of the things about the savage that make me pause....I agree that a plastic trigger guard is not good....

My worst problem with some of these is getting my hands on them, there aren't very many gun shops around here that carry these.
Thanks again guys...
Keep the suggestions coming!
Scooter

For a little over, a couple of Grand, you could Buy, 2 Tikka's One a .270 WSM or, 7 Rem Mag for, Elk AND,.. a 6.5 Creedmoor to, PRACTICE with,..
just, SET them up, exactly, the SAME !
Same,.. Trigger Spring / pull weight, Cheek Riser, Scope and Mount, Recoil Pad, etc. And shoot the chit out of the Creed, in ALL, Field Positions.
That's WHAT,. I did,..I have, TWO,. Tikka's !
PS; the .270 WSM with, 140 Berger's @ 3,200 FPS is, an Elk slaying Machine and, the Barrel saving, 6.5 Creed is,.. FUN to, shoot !
I will also use, the "Pop Gun" 6.5 Creed for, Deer / Antelope.

Last edited: