New lighter wt rifle build, input wanted...

87predator

Hello gents. I'm starting on a new project and want some input from you gurus. Now here is my parameters.... By light weight I mean a maximum of 9.5 to 10lbs. This will be used for anything up to elk and black bear, and if I ever draw a tag, moose. Now I already know who I'll have build it, and I'm going to put a Manners EH1 stock under it. I already have a big heavy 338 LM Imp, so long range to ELR is covered. In looking for 800yds or so and in. Wanting to hunt with suppressor when possible, so no 28+ in barrel lengths. Brand of barrel isn't important as I have four different brands and can't tell you which is best. I'm looking for input on action, scope, barrel size, caliber, ect. I will use this as a poll of sorts, and go with components that get the most mentions. As far as price, that isn't a huge deal as I'm planning this over a couple year period. No wildcats, and my top end on optics would be a NF. If I left anything out let me know.
Thanks. Ready set go.

I won't comment on barrel contour as it seems there are a lot of them and sometimes what one manufacture calls a 4 might be different in another.
Caliber; you will get lots of comment I'm sure and there will be no wrong answer, but for me it would be a 300 win mag with 26 inch barrel. It's been around, it's proven, ammo and reloading supplies are easier to get than some.
Scope. I have been using the nightforce nxs and the shv. I like them, they are dependable, fair glass, but they are a little on the heavy side. The leupold vx6 looks like it would be an excellent scope, maybe in the 3-18 power. If and when I can afford it the vx6 will be on one of my hunting rifles.
Action; There are so many good ones that I'd probably just go with the one that I felt had the features I liked and was the best bang for the buck. There are some sponsors on this form that make good actions.
Good luck and have fun with your new build. I always start out telling my wife that I'm going to do something like this and will spread it out over a couple years. Then I get started and can't stand the wait.:rolleyes:

How is the clicks and repeatability of the leupold? The 3-18 would be almost ideal power range. For those guys that have built one similar, I'm kind of looking for what you did, how would you change it ect. I have a wildcat 6.5 that weighs right under 12lbs, and it'll push the 160s at 3250fps, but if I were to change it, I wouldn't do a 30 in barrel, but felt it needed it to get full potential out of that particular round. I love my NF NXS 3.5-15 on my coyote rifle, but yes it is heavier than other options out there. As far as action goes, in trying to figure out if it's worth going titanium route, but have heard they aren't as smooth as some of the others.

Example: My 300wm 25" light palma bartlein, mcm game scout, seekins rings, loaded, triad pack w/ rounds in it and 18oz sightron scope w/ level weighs in at 12lbs. My bare rifle comes in at about your target weight.

I would consider a 25" Proof barrel (sendero or sendero light), not for the weight but more for the rigidity with the suppressor. TI action, the manners, NF UL rings and rail, and if you can stomach the reticle of the vortex razor LH I'd get one of those.

Scrap lightweight! Get a rifle that you can shoot accurately and are comfortable with. From there work on packing it. If it's heavy, train up physically to support the extra weight. You won't sacrifice anything in your rifle and you personally will gain from it. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.