Input on a new 6mm build

The 6mm Rem is a great cartridge. Lance makes a valid point regarding brass and one that I would weigh heavily if I were building a custom gun. That said, I've been using Rem brass for 30 years and get 8-10 loads with annealing each firing.

I have a bunch of 6mm's - 6mm CM, .243 W, 6mm Rem, 6mm AI, & 6mm-06.

My 6mm Rem is built on an olde FN action intended for 06 length rounds, about 3.3 inches or so. Best on long action actions. It feeds beautifully with 6mm Rem ammo loaded out to 3.03 inches. It has a 24 #5, 8 twist McGowen barrel. Either 105 match bullets or 87 Vmax's. Of concern is brass quality & availability. 87's shoots just fine in 8 twist.

I just out together a 6mm CM & now have 250 pieces of 6.5 CM brass some that I have necked down & turned for the 6mm CM. Ballistics real close to 6mm Rem but lots of good available brass, some real cheap 1X fired then also pricy Lapua.

As mentioned, the 6mm AI requires fireforming and should have long action.

The 6mm-06 is fussy, barrel burning, used with 87 Vmax's & 105-107 match bullets. 87's go out close to 3,600. Cheap abundant brass but short barrel life.

edit: not to omit the .243W - mine is loaded to a COAL of 2.81 inches, 8 twist with 26" barrel & accepts 1 grain more powder than the Buymore with same bullets & powder. Used with 87 Vmaxes & 105 match bullets.

I have formed 6mm Rem & 6mm AI using 7 X57 Mauser brass, back then I got a batch of 7mm PPU & used them for years - neck down & turn.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of 6mm's - 6mm CM, .243 W, 6mm Rem, 6mm AI, & 6mm-06.

My 6mm Rem is built on an olde FN action intended for 06 length rounds, about 3.3 inches or so. Best on long action actions. It feeds beautifully with 6mm Rem ammo loaded out to 3.03 inches. It has a 24 #5, 8 twist McGowen barrel. Either 105 match bullets or 87 Vmax's. Of concern is brass quality & availability. 87's shoots just fine in 8 twist.

I just out together a 6mm CM & now have 250 pieces of 6.5 CM brass some that I have necked down & turned for the 6mm CM. Ballistics real close to 6mm Rem but lots of good available brass, some real cheap 1X fired then also pricy Lapua.

As mentioned, the 6mm AI requires fireforming and should have long action.

The 6mm-06 is fussy, barrel burning, used with 87 Vmax's & 105-107 match bullets. 87's go out close to 3,600. Cheap abundant brass but short barrel life.
I thought about building 6mm-06 but have a 240 Weatherby on Mauser action so see no real reason to have it.

.243 Winchester
1T8" twist brl. throated for 70 SMK @ .010" off and 105 VLD ,012" jammed
Krieger cut brl.

The main question is: Are you forming cases from 7x57 Mauser? Is someone on a forum selling you half their stash of 6mm Remington? Do you have powder and primers?
I have powder and primers. Not a lot, I didn't go out and buy everything I could get my hands on and now that I need certain bullets for hunting (for the 280 that my wife hunts with) I'm having trouble finding them. Don't get me started on that though. I picked up some new Hornady brass today for the 6 Remington, a set of dies and some more powder that I have never tried before. I will pick up other things as they come along. I'm in no great big hurry at this point.

I appreciate everyone's input and I am reading and taking everyone's opinion into account. I'm pretty sure I will go with the 6mm Rem at this point, thus purchasing the dies and brass today. Like I said, I'm the type to go the road less traveled so the availability of brass is not a deal breaker for me. I don't shoot a ton and expect to get several reloads out of each case. I will shoot more breaking the barrel in and developing a load for the rifle than anything else. Keep the feedback and advice coming!

I have powder and primers. Not a lot, I didn't go out and buy everything I could get my hands on and now that I need certain bullets for hunting (for the 280 that my wife hunts with) I'm having trouble finding them. Don't get me started on that though. I picked up some new Hornady brass today for the 6 Remington, a set of dies and some more powder that I have never tried before. I will pick up other things as they come along. I'm in no great big hurry at this point.
So you're vision is somewhat taken care of, good deal!

All have been put into a no-hurry mode!

I appreciate everyone's input and I am reading and taking everyone's opinion into account. I'm pretty sure I will go with the 6mm Rem at this point, thus purchasing the dies and brass today. Like I said, I'm the type to go the road less traveled so the availability of brass is not a deal breaker for me. I don't shoot a ton and expect to get several reloads out of each case. I will shoot more breaking the barrel in and developing a load for the rifle than anything else. Keep the feedback and advice coming!
You can never have enough rifles in enough calibers, just sayin'.

You are kidding, right?

100 Sierra Pro Hunter
100 Sierra Tipped Game King
100 Sierra SPBT Game King
105 Berger VLD Hunting
108 Berger Elite Hunter
115 Berger VLD Hunting
100 Hornady BTSP Interlock
103 Hornady ELD-X
100 Nosler Partition
As stated, I wasn't aware of hunting projectiles over 100 grains.
Now I am, I stand corrected.

Have you ever seen the Berger offerings in factory loaded ammo, for anything besides the 6MM Creedmoor, or perhaps 243W?

I think we are getting away from the original subject matter.
To return,
Build yourself a 6MM Remington you wont regret it.

Have you considered the 6mm ARC? I have a custom bolt gun in 6 Arc and shoots great with 105's. Long barrel life no recoil. 2900fps from 26.5" barrel with factory Hornady Black 105's. 1/2" 5 shot groups at 200 yards with factory ammo maybe better from a better shooter than me.

Have you considered the 6mm ARC? I have a custom bolt gun in 6 Arc and shoots great with 105's. Long barrel life no recoil. 2900fps from 26.5" barrel with factory Hornady Black 105's. 1/2" 5 shot groups at 200 yards with factory ammo maybe better from a better shooter than me.
I have not but I will definitely look at it. I have zero knowledge of that cartridge.

The 6ARC has better potential, in a bolt gun, from the numbers I've seen. It's also like a cheaper option 6mmBR class cartridge, that I'd really like to experiment with?

I have not but I will definitely look at it. I have zero knowledge of that cartridge.
Just -

Howdy !

The handwriting is pretty much on the wall, as regards the venerable
.243Win. Its case capacity of 54gr H2O was useful, but in actuality proved to be more than what many shooters needed ( in a 6mm cartridge ).

But more than that perhaps, was the .243Win's shallow shoulder angle, which placed the powder combustion " turbulence point " outside of the case neck. That did nothing towards helping extend barrel life.

The above observations are reinforced by the popularity and successes being sent with the newer 6mm's.... like the 6 X47L, 6XC; and 6 Creed.
Useful case capacity, and " turbulence point " held within the neck.

If one were to consider which cartridge available now ( factory or wildcat ) that might supplant the .243Win in the years to come, the answer might arguably be the " 6 Creedmoor " ..... FWIW

With regards,
357Mag

Just -

Howdy !

The handwriting is pretty much on the wall, as regards the venerable
.243Win. Its case capacity of 54gr H2O was useful, but in actuality proved to be more than what many shooters needed ( in a 6mm cartridge ).

But more than that perhaps, was the .243Win's shallow shoulder angle, which placed the powder combustion " turbulence point " outside of the case neck. That did nothing towards helping extend barrel life.

The above observations are reinforced by the popularity and successes being sent with the newer 6mm's.... like the 6 X47L, 6XC; and 6 Creed.
Useful case capacity, and " turbulence point " held within the neck.

If one were to consider which cartridge available now ( factory or wildcat ) that might supplant the .243Win in the years to come, the answer might arguably be the " 6 Creedmoor " ..... FWIW

With regards,
357Mag
What about the 6mm Remington that I am leaning towards? Is it not a good choice with a faster twist barrel than factory options? Is it never going to be as "good" as the three calibers you mentioned? Will I not be able to get a consistent shooting fast 6 out of it? Not being argumentative, just trying to learn. I don't have a physics degree or anything that will help me to understand what all happens in a chamber and barrel so I depend on you guys to dumb it down to where I can understand.