input on 6mm something or other coyote rig build

Got me and the G.D. (71 & 3.5yrs. which ever needs it first- never fired yet) a WallyWorld $399 youth Rem 700 .243Win and a bunch of all the factory loads and noticed:

-in their gun:
A) 58gr Hornady Superformance V Max 3,925 fps
B) 80gr Barnes TTSX BT 3,350 fps

That is woofing it & I bet it will leave a mark. I may never have to reload any, but I got the stuff!

Good luck with your choice.

you'll probably end up with quite a lot of bullet jump to get to the lands with that 58 grain bullet. I was able to get almost 3500fps out of the standard 6mm Remington using a Sierra 80 grain bullet and cases made from a very old lot of .257 brass (they hold almost two grains more powder). The accuracey load with that same bullet and powder ended up being about 3440 fps with the bullet very close to the lands. I recommend the Sierra 80 grain Blitz
gary

The biggest problem with 25 cal is the bullets(especially 100 gr and below) are stubby and soft for the 250 savage. I've got a 25 wssm, and it's a hell of a rifle but it takes a 120 bt to get the bc up enough for longer range.
I'm looking at rebarreling a striker, so I'm going to stay with a .473 bolt face so I could put the original barrel on with little tinkering.

Yeah I hope berger brings out a heavyweight 25. Never has been a decent slug in 25 or 27 or 32 and all sorts of cool things we could do with them. An 8mm 275gr .85 bc is a nice thought.
The 25 was just nnever a LR caliber because of bullets. Maybe now that the 270 is fixed the 257 roy will have a real reason to exist besides being a short range screamer.

... I recommend the Sierra 80 grain Blitz
gary

The 80grn Blitz is a great bullet isn't it? One of my all time favorites right there. I first started loading that in my 243AI at the recommendations of Robert T. of Sierra fame. It doesn't have a fancy ballistic tip or super cool name, it just plain works.

t

It's a lot of fun playing with burner cartridges so I don't want to talk you out of that if that is what you are looking for but I would encourage you to compare ballistics on the differences between a fast 87 grainer doing 3700 or so (reaching that is possible but not easy) and the 105-115 grainers going 3-3300 fps (which is pretty easily attainable.

You will get flatter trajectory out to the distances you mentioned but you will pay for it in a lot more powder being burnt, much less barrel life and you will sacrifice wind drift and possibly accuracy. To my way of thinking elevation is easily accounted for with a good ballistic chart, turrets or a good ballistic reticle. But wind drift is a different story. No matter how big you go I would suggest you look at the heavy for caliber bullets.

I do think there is a point of diminishing returns for each caliber and I think we pass it with the 6mm by going to the 6-284 and bigger. Maybe that isn't a big issue to you but with my smaller caliber guns I go through a lot more ammo than my bigger guns.

I think you would be hard pressed to go wrong with the following:

6x47, 6mm Creedmore, or the 6XC. You should easily get 3000 fps with the XC and another 200+ with the others. There is great brass available for all of them and they all have shown to be very accurate and easy to load for. The XC is based off the 22-250 case so you could use your current stock of cases for it as well but there would be some forming involved.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck in your decision!

Scot E.

The 80grn Blitz is a great bullet isn't it? One of my all time favorites right there. I first started loading that in my 243AI at the recommendations of Robert T. of Sierra fame. It doesn't have a fancy ballistic tip or super cool name, it just plain works.

t

a good shoulder it on a 30lb coyote will often cut them in half at 250 yards. Have not shot them much in my 6/250AI, but they should do just fine.
gary

Go to 6mmAR.com and check out the 6mmSLR as it is a cross between the 6XC & the .243 Win . You get the longer neck and 30 degree shoulders plus you'll have the option to run the 115 grn. pills and it is quite accurate and easy to load for just run the 243 Win brass through the die and you are done load and shoot.

It's a lot of fun playing with burner cartridges so I don't want to talk you out of that if that is what you are looking for but I would encourage you to compare ballistics on the differences between a fast 87 grainer doing 3700 or so (reaching that is possible but not easy) and the 105-115 grainers going 3-3300 fps (which is pretty easily attainable.

You will get flatter trajectory out to the distances you mentioned but you will pay for it in a lot more powder being burnt, much less barrel life and you will sacrifice wind drift and possibly accuracy. To my way of thinking elevation is easily accounted for with a good ballistic chart, turrets or a good ballistic reticle. But wind drift is a different story. No matter how big you go I would suggest you look at the heavy for caliber bullets.

I do think there is a point of diminishing returns for each caliber and I think we pass it with the 6mm by going to the 6-284 and bigger. Maybe that isn't a big issue to you but with my smaller caliber guns I go through a lot more ammo than my bigger guns.

6x47, 6mm Creedmore, or the 6XC. You should easily get 3000 fps with the XC and another 200+ with the others. There is great brass available for all of them and they all have shown to be very accurate and easy to load for. The XC is based off the 22-250 case so you could use your current stock of cases for it as well but there would be some forming involved.

Scot E.

The 6/250AI I shoot uses .243 brass cut down. I do this for case shrinkage alone, and I still see .04" in the necks. The 6xc is easier to do, and that's pretty much what I fire form off of. I end up with 1.885" over all lengths, and really want to address this problem this comming year with a longer necked reamer of some sort. I'd like to do the .35" full neck length of the 6mm Ackley, but with the shorter shoulder length of the 250AI. That way I think I'll come out with a neck length of about .32". This will seriously increase the throat life, and make it easier to handle light weight bullets at the sametime.

I see about 3000 fps with the 105 grain Amax and the Sierra 107's at near max loads.
gary

Scot E.

Scot, you make valid points and turrets, charts and reticles serve their purpose, I frequently use all of the above on foraging game that will mosey around with head in grass. Coyotes rarely stand still so flat and fast is the goal. I have been shooting 40 grainers out of my .22-250 @ nearly 4k fps and this is a replacement build for that rifle. The 6mm in 80 grain and up already gives a better BC and less wind drift than my 250 and if pushed fast enough not much loss on drop. I know barrel life is the trade off and am ok with that. If accuracy is an issue I will readily admit you warned me! Lol

Scot, you make valid points and turrets, charts and reticles serve their purpose, I frequently use all of the above on foraging game that will mosey around with head in grass. Coyotes rarely stand still so flat and fast is the goal. I have been shooting 40 grainers out of my .22-250 @ nearly 4k fps and this is a replacement build for that rifle. The 6mm in 80 grain and up already gives a better BC and less wind drift than my 250 and if pushed fast enough not much loss on drop. I know barrel life is the trade off and am ok with that. If accuracy is an issue I will readily admit you warned me! Lol

I originally said a 6-284 would be te ticket and still think it is but......here goes somethin nutty. A big 20 of some sort with the berger 55gr. Ive been looking at that combo asthe ultimate varmint gun. The 55gr bc and sd are off the chart. There is no recoil and itll shoot flatter than anything out there. 6" low at 400 with a 1.75" high at 100 sight in. 16" at 500. And bucks the wind. Just a thought and I hate it when someone posts off topic but with the advent ofthe 55 it changes things. And Ive seen deer killed with the 40gr stuff so Im ok with it on yotes.

I originally said a 6-284 would be te ticket and still think it is but......here goes somethin nutty. A big 20 of some sort with the berger 55gr. Ive been looking at that combo asthe ultimate varmint gun. The 55gr bc and sd are off the chart. There is no recoil and itll shoot flatter than anything out there. 6" low at 400 with a 1.75" high at 100 sight in. 16" at 500. And bucks the wind. Just a thought and I hate it when someone posts off topic but with the advent ofthe 55 it changes things. And Ive seen deer killed with the 40gr stuff so Im ok with it on yotes.

I still have to vote 6-284. Fast, Flat & has a 1000yd title to it's name. The 55grain 20cal Berger does have some merit (.381 G1) but I feel somewhat hesitant to build my rifle around one bullet. Just my luck, it wouldn't shoot fer chit :D Then i'd be stuck with 40 grainers... I do agree the SD should be great... I wonder just how fast a guy could push'em :rolleyes:

t

setting right in front of me right now is a sketch I made of a 6.8 SPC case necked down to 20 caliber. 1.28" at the shoulder with a 30 degree shoulder angle. The over all length is 1.65". I also have a similar design done off a 35 remington case that has a shoulder length of 1.343" at the shoulder with a 30 degree angle. Over all length is 1. 688. Taper on both rounds is .012" per inch. The first round started out using .225 Winchester brass, but after somebody gave me a handfull of 6.8 cases I knew I found a better case to start out with. Have not gave much thought about the throat angle and length, but both rounds will be done to shoot the 50 grain bullets. (if I ever find the time and a good donor action on the cheap)
gary

That's an easy answer for me, 6/06 all the way now upside at all to going with the short fat especially is feeding out of the box