Input on Builds

shootone

I am finally to a point where I'm booking some mule and elk hunts.

I'm planning on 1 to 2 hunts per year starting in 2016.

More than likely 1 unless I draw in Utah pretty slim but I'm applying there and booking a guaranteed hunt as well.

I am currently without a rifle and most of these are rifle hunts

I have 2 projects in the works and wanted some input

The first is a lighter carrying Rifle
Specs: rem 700, manners eh-3 chambered in 280 Ackley

If the stock comes in at the expected weight the bare gun will be right at 6.3 to 6.5 lbs depending on how we cut the shank and barrel length

I'm looking at the Swarvo z5 3.5-18x44 with the 150g accu bond lr's

This will be a 750 yard gun with the turret on that scope. I feel that is as far as I would want to shoot a 7.5 lb rifle

To me this is as light as i want a gun. I owned a ti 7-08 great gun but I didnt have confidence like I've had in other rifles

I was then planning on building a bigger magnum to also take on less strenuous hunts or hunts in more open terrain. I plan on taking both with me on most hunts. Can always leave one at camp.

Specs on this one are
Defiance deviant hunter, Mcm hunter stock
Looking at a #5 krieger barrel possibly fluted
Optics are undecided looking at March 5-25x52, NXS 5/22, ?

This gun will have a break

I'm leaning towards a 28 Nosler shooting the 180 Berger or 175 accu bond

If not that a std 300 win mag but that's another thread.

Will have a break to spot impacts and control recoil

Hard to say what she will weigh as I just have the stock in hand but my estimates are
8 to 8.5 lbs for the bare Rilfe then around 10.5 with the nxs and possibly 10lb with another optic

What say you on these plans?

I did my last elk hunt with a tactical styled gun that was 15 lbs and it to me was too heavy for the mountains

I had an old 7wsm that was about perfect but with the wyatts box if fed like crap and the freebore was too much. I loved the ballistics this why i choose the 280ai
I know it will feed, good balance of performance and recoil in a lighter gun

But then I've talked to outfitters who like guys to show up with a magnum
And think the heavier build would be better for shooting out past 500 yards if needed

I have a 1100yard range 30min and shoot there regurally. The past few years I've shot some precision matches and built up points.

Ready to do some killing now

Thanks for any input

I like the second choice only because there are opportunities that may arise where a bit bigger and faster might be better.

Your second choice is close to two of the rifles I hunt with and the estimated weight is about right on. 10 to 10.5 pounds is not too heavy to pack and for me it provides a very stable platform.

Good luck with your build.

That's because a sizable number of their clients are **** poor shots and need every advantage they can get!

I 100% AGREE!

I've been on enough outfitted hunts to see the results of missed shots and wounded game, so I can see why outfitters don't want a bunch of yahoo's buggering up game or having to chase and retrieve game for miles.

I'm just looking to stack the odds in my favor and if the outfitter has more confidence bc I'm shooting a magnum then so be it, I will have a magnum

What about the 30 Nosler, McWhorter rifles has a reamer. You should really spend some money on your builds, Defiance, MCM, Krieger, and March surely won't produce an accurate rife.

Ive looked at a 30 nosler, figure it will be introduced this year

but I think the 28 nosler is great, especially if the 195g berger appears

should be a great round also less recoil than the 30 nosler

I have heard more outfitters say to bring what you can shoot well rather than worrying about the cartridge...I think that is b/c so much of the public doesn't shoot large magnums frequently b/c of cost or recoil.

If you can put the shot where it needs to be as frequently with a big magnum as you can with a lower recoiling gun then bigger is better. But I think the outfitter would rather someone hit an elk in the right place with a moderate gun than in the wrong place with a magnum.

Not the question you asked, but you will love the March 2.5x25x52. I got mine about 5 weeks ago and have been super impressed. I am now also spoiled for scopes going forward.

All the advantages of a low power scope with the 2.5x but also has the 25x to really reach out if needed, and the 52mm objective helps in lower light.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.