Input please on chassis build

KsKevin

Working on my next build for what will primarily be a target gun (May get into matches and probably some limited use for varmints/coyotes). Here's my current thinking but would appreciate input

CHAMBERING: 6mm for sure and leaning towards 6XC (consider 6CM and 6x47 Lapua but like the longer neck of XC vs CM, like the touch more powder and better brass / die availability vs 6x47)

ACTION: leaning towards Terminus Zeus (like the bolt throw). Alternative Impact Precision 737R (maybe Defiance, like BAT but didn't want to spend the extra here)

BARREL: Bartlein 7 or 7.5TW, 26", M24/40 contour (considering do I drop a pound and go with REM varmint contour as wondering if balance of rifle will be off with M24??)

CHASSIS: studied this one a lot and came down to MDT ACC or XLR Envy. I'm leaning towards XLR Envy

Triggertech Diamond
Hawkins brake and maybe later run suppressed

Biggest questions
1. Any major concerns with 6XC. I've found brass and dies so seems good to go. Likely run Berger 105g HYbrid.
2. A lot of action choices. Any reason terminus or impact would not be a great choice?
3. Barrel contour..given total package, any concerns with M24 at 6.3#? Will balance of rifle be ok or should I drop down to REM varmint contour?
4. Chassis…The more I've researched the more I'm leaning hard to the XLR Envy. Any reason this wouldn't be an excellent choice?

Fire away, let's hear it guys 😎

The range I have local access to only goes to 600yd. Have done some shooting with my 280AI out to 1100yds. Our club also has several different matches / leagues (ie winter varmint league at 300/500/600yds). Net, this isn't going to be a hunting rig.

The range I have local access to only goes to 600yd. Have done some shooting with my 280AI out to 1100yds. Our club also has several different matches / leagues (ie winter varmint league at 300/500/600yds). Net, this isn't going to be a hunting rig.
Dont forget about Rayners for a fun day!

Personally I prefer the look and butt stock on the mdt acc which is why I'd choose it over the xlr but it's purely preference there.

As far as action, pick which one you prefer and go with it. Owning multiple different actions including the defiance, terminus and impact you have mentioned I can attest to the fact you won't go wrong with either of them.

As for caliber on your list I would go 6x47 Lapua but the xc is a killer caliber. Personally I'd be doing a 6bra though

Matt - agree on the buttstock of XLR not ideal but have you seen this upgrade they're coming out with. Really like this one 😎

Matt - thanks for the suggestion on the 6BRA. I had looked at the BR family but hadn't studied it closely until your suggestion. After researching a bit further several variants in that space 6BR, 6BRA, 6BRX, 6 Dasher. All run about 20% less powder and give up about 125fps. I'll need to figure out what's the right trade-offs for me on barrel life vs velocity and availability of brass/dies as both cartridges have proven extreme accuracy and easy to shoot.

Matt - agree on the buttstock of XLR not ideal but have you seen this upgrade they're coming out with. Really like this one 😎

I would so that is a major improvement as far as aesthetics go, and looks like it would work well. I still think I'd be going mdt acc between the two. Have an acc coming now for a new build actually.

Matt - thanks for the suggestion on the 6BRA. I had looked at the BR family but hadn't studied it closely until your suggestion. After researching a bit further several variants in that space 6BR, 6BRA, 6BRX, 6 Dasher. All run about 20% less powder and give up about 125fps. I'll need to figure out what's the right trade-offs for me on barrel life vs velocity and availability of brass/dies as both cartridges have proven extreme accuracy and easy to shoot.

Between me and the two guys I shoot with we run 6br, 6bra, 6 xc and 6 creed plus a handful of others in 6.5, 25 and 22. We started with larger/faster. Once the br and bra got going it's hard to switch back. The absolute simplicity in load development was remarkable, the lack of recoil, the efficiency, so far brass life, better barrel life and insane accuracy. 2 different rifles, different shooters, different barrels and different smiths and both shoot 1/3 moa or better. Mines on its way out with 2300-2400 rounds and still holding between 3/4"-1.25" 5 shot groups at 300 yards.

I love the 6 creed but it doesn't get much use any more and I don't think I will go without a br variant (bra for sure) in the stable!

At this point in time it's important to consider lead times for the completion of components which will have to be ordered from the original manufacturer.

XLR states 4-5 months completion time (unless instock at a supplier)
MDT states OUT OF STOCK, no time frame for completion (unless instock at a supplier)

Bartlein states 10-12 months for a custom ordered barrel with some completed faster because of caliber place in line.

Currently available from Bartlein:
1644759594431.png

The 'BB' in the serial number at the beginning of the list in Bartlein's newest steel formulation which is more resistant to wear, yielding a longer barrel life. This is a more costly variation but it is what will work and can be shipped immediately. The twist rate is perfect for your selection.

You can also utilize the second level suppliers for several of the barrel makers but expect to pay a premium for having stock on hand.

Brakes and suppressors are controlled by the rule books for each competition. Be aware of restrictions first then make your decision. Jail time for suppressor orders is running 6 months minimum.

Triggers are very personal but Trigger Techs can supply one to suit your beginning aspiration.

Actions will depend on what's available and where. BAT will win top honors in the opinion polls.

I use the Pierce Engineering actions or Kelbly's Atlas actions for F-Class:

https://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/pierce-f-tr-action/

https://www.kelbly.com/actions-steel-atlas-tactical/

Be aware that your chassis choices will be limited by the actions they are made for.

Chamber: For 600 yards I use the 6BR or variations and for longer I've used the Dasher out to and including 1,000 yards. These will provide excellent ease of loading with tons of data to use and have proven track records for accuracy and winning. This part is a no-brainer. The very best brass is available also.

Enjoy the process!

😊

Thanks for the reco. I haven't gone but have also heard of Thunder Valley which looks like they are both about 2.5hrs from Cinci. Have you shot both, are there any major differences, reason for one vs the other?
I have only shot Rayners.