22" 30 cal - Mtn Rifle build input wanted :)

With ADG now making 300WSM brass I don't think I would over complicate the decision. But if you really want to wild-cat it, just go for it and don't have any regrets. Buy once cry once!

Sure appreciate all the helpful insights and ideas. I'll play some of this by my smith and see what's possible with what we have to work with. codyadams, I might gain a little velocity over your setup if we can extend the OAL a little. Liking the ideas on that.

And that Patriot looks like a bad boy on paper for the size. 😎

Sure appreciate all the helpful insights and ideas. I'll play some of this by my smith and see what's possible with what we have to work with. codyadams, I might gain a little velocity over your setup if we can extend the OAL a little. Liking the ideas on that.

And that Patriot looks like a bad boy on paper for the size. 😎
I think you may also gain some because I have a suspicion I may have a bit of a slow barrel, maybe 50-75 fps behind what is generally expected.

There is also this option, the Wyatts mid length box, allows 3.235" OAL, though it says it will not work with most clones......could be something you could look into though.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows about this kit being compatible on the Christensen actions.

I believe the issues hinge on the positioning of the side bolt release.

Talk to him about the mag box. If you can get it out to around 3.3 I would go with the WSM. Bolt stop, ejection port and back of the magazine port will have to be changed. I've been toying for a couple of years doing this with a medium action and a fast twist 270WSM. Pretty much the same deal as your .30 Barrel length will still limit performance no matter what you do, but you will still be faster than you would have been.

Talk to him about the mag box. If you can get it out to around 3.3 I would go with the WSM. Bolt stop, ejection port and back of the magazine port will have to be changed. I've been toying for a couple of years doing this with a medium action and a fast twist 270WSM. Pretty much the same deal as your .30 Barrel length will still limit performance no matter what you do, but you will still be faster than you would have been.
Makes sense to me. I'll see what he says we can do! 👍

I have a 300ss and 300max and have done load development on a handful of 300 wsm. If I was shooting a factory round I'd hands down be running a wsm. Since I load and like to be different and like the design of the Sherman offerings I run them.
My new 300ss
20220316_163628.jpg
300ss 205 Berger .015" off lands I believe 2.920" oal
20220411_134747.jpg
Has a 22.75" barrel and I'm shooting a 205 Berger and 208 eldm just a hair under 2800 fps. Both rounds are seated properly in the case and run out of the hawkins hunter m5 (short action) magazines. I also did a little testing with the 180 Berger elite hunter and my low node was 2930 fps.

My 300 max and my friends both are on tikka and no magazine restrictions so they are over the magic 2.990" oal for most short actions. Both these rifles run a 208 eldm at 2830 fps and one has a 21" omr barrel and the other a 22" proof.

The last 300wsm I loaded for was a 24" proof and ran the 212 eldx at 2840 without any pressure at all.

I look forward to see what you end up with.

For FUN? I think I would use a 300WSM case, necked down to a 130gn .277 AB, at 3200-3300fps! Great for all deer size animals out to at least 400 yds. For elk, moose, and large bears I would use same size Hammer bullets. Don't see the need for a carbon barrel. Put your money in ammo!

If you had a 22" 30 cal 9-twist M24/M40 Bartlein Carbon barrel, what would you chamber for a light-weight mountain rifle? It would be going on an existing Christensen Arms Classic 270 WSM action so the bolt face & OAL (ejection port) would have to match that action. The 300 WSM is great, but maybe I want something more "fun". 😉

Probably be running Hammers or 175 BD-2's.
I probably should have asked, where do you plan to hunt Elk at? it... I'm sure would make in difference in the calibers guys are recommending on I'd think, or at least it would have with me. You know hunting thick draws and narrow canyons vs open country from hilltop to hilltop shots. I hunted most of the Elk that I've killed in tight draws and thickets where we busted them out of a bed or hide, so rifles and calibers were heavy hitters and fast action rifles for a second shot. I understand you're talking about re-chamber a barrel in .30 but still I think the aforementioned still applies. Just curious, Cheers.

That will vary. Anywhere from PA to WY to OR... But I've got a 7-LRM and a 7 Allen Mag for long stuff too. This build was more for medium range work and something light and compact. But I still like to manage to 1K if needed.

That will vary. Anywhere from PA to WY to OR... But I've got a 7-LRM and a 7 Allen Mag for long stuff too. This build was more for medium range work and something light and compact. But I still like to manage to 1K if needed.
Light and compact to tip a bull over at 1k? I'll have to think about that one for a minute. Of course, my assumption was, or is... that it would be used for animals up to Elk in size, perhaps you're not thinking of Elk? in that case I stand with my original pick. 😉 😊