Custom rifle build 7MM or 30 Cal?

The 300 Win has about 12 ~ 15 percent more energy at 700 yards than a 7 Rem Mag. This seems to hold true if the bullets are the same weight (with somewhat comparable BC ratings) or something like a 160 Accubond in the 7MM and a 180 Accubond in the 300 Win Mag. The bullet drop and win deflection is usually within 5% of each other, Bullet drop is also with 5 ~ 10%.

Now that I think about, it the 300 Win Mag has about 10 ~ 15% more recoil than 7MM.

If I were shooting more deer and antelope than elk, I would get the 7MM. Especially if not using a brake. If I were more of a big elk killer, I would get the 300 Win Mag.

I shoot both cause I can never decide these things. :D
That's the idea, one of each. That way all we have to do is argue with ourselves. My Mom always told I would argue with a fence post.

Big10! I dont own a 7mm Mag...I had a 280 built up instead ( for what I was wanting to do with it) A 7mm Mag will take you all the way to the ballpark my friend. ACN a 30...even a 30 Mag do more...yes...but at a cost. More recoil for one but even if you can handle some punishing power at times, why subject yourself to it if its not needed?

You need a 30 mag for antelope about as bad as a fish needs a golf cart:D

If you are 6'8" and weigh 300 lbs...and have the $$$...go for a 300 Weatherby and blast yourself into Nirvana.

There is so much hype with the seven MM that I am very intrigued about building my rifle on this caliber. Then you run into everyone who is a 30 Calfan and they say they just don't compare. I'm concerned with the high BC bullets and how good they can be in a there is so much hype with the seven am I am that I am very intrigued about building my rifle on this caliber. Then you run into everyone who is a 30 Calfan and they say they just don't compare. I'm concerned with the high BC bullets and how good they can be in a writing huntin build. I want this to be an all-around rifle from antelope to elk. I'm leaning towards a seven MM because there is less recoil and still good ballistics. My question is how will a seven MM perform at 6 to 700 yards for hunting build. I want this to be an all-around rifle from antelope to elk. I'm leaning towards a seven MM because there is less recoil and still good ballistics. My question is how will a seven MM perform at 6 to 700 yards for elk? I have been driving myself absolutely crazy trying to decide between these two calibers. I am also throwing in the mix 300 ultra mag as one of the possibilities.

Why drive yourself nuts unnecessarily, pick one and move on. Just make sure, whichever you pick, you have ample supply of brass, preferably for the life of the barrel. It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose.

Having said that, the .300 WM is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up 1K yards. Load them with 215/230 Berger and you're golden.

Good luck!

There is no such thing as over gunned. There is such a thing as under gunned. Big bullets on small game does not mean big mess. They generally make less mess. Choose a caliber that your are comfortable with and use quality bullets in it and stay inside of its means.

Bullet bc is a function of bullet weight and bullet form. Length does not add bc. In order to increase the weight of a bullet and keep a good form it has to get longer. Heavier bullets of the same form will have higher bc.

I assume that you are purchasing a factory rifle. So you need to make sure that your factory rifle has enough twist to shoot the big high bc bullet that is attracting you to the caliber. Optimal twist for a Berger 195 is 1-8". The 28 Nosler is a 1-9" twist. Most 7mm factory rifles are between 1-9.25" and 1-10" twist. Not all 7mm bullets are made for all 7mm rifles. Likewise for all the calibers.

I will leave you with this. I have killed a lot of big game animals with rifles from .243 through .338. The bigger the caliber the better they kill, assuming a quality bullet being used.

Steve

After I posted I paid attention to your title. Get the barrel needed for the bullet you want to shoot and then bullet choice will be fine.

Steve

I had to make the decision a while back between 7mm and 30cal... Easy choice I went with a 338 :)

If you want a rifle for elk, go with the 30. Phorwath and Barrelnut got it right in their posts.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.