Custom rifle build 7MM or 30 Cal?

Big10hunter

There is so much hype with the seven MM that I am very intrigued about building my rifle on this caliber. Then you run into everyone who is a 30 Calfan and they say they just don't compare. I'm concerned with the high BC bullets and how good they can be in a there is so much hype with the seven am I am that I am very intrigued about building my rifle on this caliber. Then you run into everyone who is a 30 Calfan and they say they just don't compare. I'm concerned with the high BC bullets and how good they can be in a writing huntin build. I want this to be an all-around rifle from antelope to elk. I'm leaning towards a seven MM because there is less recoil and still good ballistics. My question is how will a seven MM perform at 6 to 700 yards for hunting build. I want this to be an all-around rifle from antelope to elk. I'm leaning towards a seven MM because there is less recoil and still good ballistics. My question is how will a seven MM perform at 6 to 700 yards for elk? I have been driving myself absolutely crazy trying to decide between these two calibers. I am also throwing in the mix 300 ultra mag as one of the possibilities.

First post? A bit nervous? Here goes; I'm a big fan of the 7mmSTW. Trouble is brass is at a premium as is ammo. Mine handles 130g through 175g very well. The .300UM seems like a bit of over kill for "speed goats". I'm sure there are examples of the .300UM that'll shoot 130g bullets, but I've always had better luck with 190g+ projectiles in the UM. Brass and loaded ammo can be a problem, too. The WSMs have their own set of problems. Originally designed for SA, which limits OAL. Fit a barrel to a LA and chances are you'll experience feed issues. Which beings us back to the 7mm Rem Mag and the .300 Win Mag. Either of those will "fill the bill" for your critter and range requirements. To top it off, brass and ammo is readily available for both of those boring, old timers. There is another 7mm that I've yet to mention,, the .280 Nosler was well as a new .30 cal offering, the .30 Nosler. Both of those are supported by premium brass and the .280 Nosler with ammo, too. I'd bet the .30 catches on and ammo will be available for it, too. So there you have it,,, 4 to choose from. And that's not even mentioning the 7mm and .30 cal wildcats. Which ever you choose, brass and ammo should be a consideration at this time. The brass/ammo situation may get better, or it may get worse. It depends on what happens in November!

Well mud runner and I just went over this not to long ago. So let me try to help. First the two best to compare are the 300 win to the 7mm.
When comparing the two with equal weight for caliber they have a very close trajectory curve so those are equal. The difference comes when you get to the target. The 300 will hit harder because of the bigger bullet. Now with that bigger bullet you have more recoil so the 7mm wins that department. So you really can't go wrong with either. Both will take elk at the distance you are asking.

Bullet diameter isn't everything when comparing energy on target. I attached 2 pics one (pic #2) is a 300 win with 215 berger at 2950 fps the other is the 28 nosler (7mm) with a 195 berger at 3050 fps (pic #1). The one with the advantage is the 28.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-23-16-45-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-23-16-45-08.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot_2016-04-23-16-44-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-23-16-44-38.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 132
Charts, numbers, this table or that one......there is not substitute for .30 cal holes in game, especially when they start out at 3200 fps....devastation !!

Charts, numbers, this table or that one......there is not substitute for .30 cal holes in game, especially when they start out at 3200 fps....devastation !!
Nothing wrong with the 30's had a few of them. But if I need something bigger than a 7mm I'm going 338. I don't really see the difference in 24 tho. Now if you were comparing a 243 to a 30 cal I would have to agree with you on the 30 hole being better. But that's just me.

Bullet diameter isn't everything when comparing energy on target. I attached 2 pics one (pic #2) is a 300 win with 215 berger at 2950 fps the other is the 28 nosler (7mm) with a 195 berger at 3050 fps (pic #1). The one with the advantage is the 28.

Your chart is misleading because your showing 28 nosler not 7mm mag. I could post the same chart using a 300 ultra mag vs 7mm rem mag. I was using those to as a reference so he could see the difference those are the two that are most debated cause they are the closest. And everything equal the 30 will hit hard but produce more recoil. It's hose two things you must decide which you like better. I like both but I tend to learn towards my 300. Just for the soft spot I have for it.

Either will do the job just fine... Although when the shots really stretch out or the placements are off the 30 Cal will give you the edge. I'm a pretty big 7mm fan, but after talking with Jeff Brozovich and others who harvest of elk like it's their job, the 300 Win with a 215 Hybrid is the only combination I would run if I could do it over again. Good luck with your decision!!

Your chart is misleading because your showing 28 nosler not 7mm mag. I could post the same chart using a 300 ultra mag vs 7mm rem mag. I was using those to as a reference so he could see the difference those are the two that are most debated cause they are the closest. And everything equal the 30 will hit hard but produce more recoil. It's hose two things you must decide which you like better. I like both but I tend to learn towards my 300. Just for the soft spot I have for it.
There is about as much difference between the 7rm and the 300 as there is between the 300 and the 28 nosler.
300 93.8 h2o
7rm 82-84 h2o
28 nos 100.7
That was just a quick Google search so + or - I compared those because I think most people use the 300 as what all cartridges are compared to, the base line so to speak. I would have used the 30 nosler if I had more info on it. I was going to build a 300 win before the 195's came out, then I had to do a 7mm big enough to push it and I like the design of the nosler case. Long action, mag bolt face, no belt, 30-40 degree shoulder, still fits in a long action with a wyatts box for optimal seating, somewhere between the wsm and rum= 28 nosler. Just right in my opinion.

This is why they make so many different options. Everyone has there own opinions and like and dislikes. Nothing wrong with any of them just personal preference.

That makes sense just seems everyone tries to slide balistics for a 7mm in favor while not apples to apples cartridges. That could go back and forth all day. 28 nosler vs 300 RUM. Or 300 AX. When comparing the bullets it's pretty simple 7mm less recoil less energy 30 more recoil more energy. By the why I like your sigs snapped a screen shot to rember them.

That makes sense just seems everyone tries to slide balistics for a 7mm in favor while not apples to apples cartridges. That could go back and forth all day. 28 nosler vs 300 RUM. Or 300 AX. When comparing the bullets it's pretty simple 7mm less recoil less energy 30 more recoil more energy. By the why I like your sigs snapped a screen shot to rember them.
Agreed, a 7mm-300 win to a strait 300 would be a far better comparison or 28 to 30 nosler. Like I said I was looking at building a 300 win because of the posts that I've seen from broz and others until the 195's came out and that .755 bc got me all hot and bothered so I ordered a Defiance Deviant hunter action and waiting for the war department/wife to give me the go ahead on the rest of the parts. Thanks for the complements on my signatures. I find them all to be very truthful.

Get a 30 Cal and muzzle brake it if you're going to shoot elk. 30 Nosler would be my pick at this time. 7mm is for gophers. :D Little ones...

The 300 Win has about 12 ~ 15 percent more energy at 700 yards than a 7 Rem Mag. This seems to hold true if the bullets are the same weight (with somewhat comparable BC ratings) or something like a 160 Accubond in the 7MM and a 180 Accubond in the 300 Win Mag. The bullet drop and win deflection is usually within 5% of each other, Bullet drop is also with 5 ~ 10%.

Now that I think about, it the 300 Win Mag has about 10 ~ 15% more recoil than 7MM.

If I were shooting more deer and antelope than elk, I would get the 7MM. Especially if not using a brake. If I were more of a big elk killer, I would get the 300 Win Mag.

I shoot both cause I can never decide these things. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts