7MM Rifle Build

LRDesert

New to the forum but have enjoyed reading and utilizing the abundance of information provided here for a few years now.

I am beginning my first rifle build this year on a Sako L61R 7MM Rem. Mag. Currently. Barrel has been shot out time for a new one. Am considering rechambering. This will be for long range hunting and shooting (in preparation for hunting). Looking for suggestions to utilize what I have and get the maximum performance possible from the cartridge. Want to push long VLD bullets heavy for caliber and stay in the 3,000FPS range. Sticking to 7MM as I already have a big .30. And not lose case capacity. I know this is fairly vague. Look forward to any advice and will answer any questions. To try and help you help me.

I don't know what your magazine box length is. You may already know all of this but you might want to check mag length so that you know what cartridge and the amount chamber freebore will work so that the loaded round will fit in your magazine.
If it's 3.7" long like a rem 700, then thats long enough for aprx 95% of 7mm cartridges. If magazine length is 3.5" long then you will need to do some homework to make sure loaded rounds for the cartridge you select will fit in the mag. Good luck.

Last edited:
Box length measures 3.7". Trying learn as much as possible being my first build. Would this be a standard reamer for chambering?

I would try to decide on the bullet that you want to shoot. I like the 180 eld. It's shot good in two custom and one factory rifle for me. If the 180 doesn't shoot good for you there is plenty of alternatives for it that would work in the same twist that it's designed for.

Had not looked into the Sherman calibers. Would this be the .280 Sherman? Or the 7MM S.S.? Was leaning toward trying the 180gr. Berger VLD when the time comes. Have decided on a 26" Hart barrel 1:8 twist. Still debating stocks.

Had not looked into the Sherman calibers. Would this be the .280 Sherman? Or the 7MM S.S.? Was leaning toward trying the 180gr. Berger VLD when the time comes. Have decided on a 26" Hart barrel 1:8 twist. Still debating stocks.
Neither. Its the 28 Sherman magnum
The max would be a good choice in a shorter length

What are your guys'd thoughts on the 28 Nosler? I own a .30 Nosler and have been happy with it for the most part. Though I feel that Nosler made a mistake with the COAL of 3.340. Feel that having more free bore would really step up the performance with the long VLD bullets. Any thoughts?

I've never shot a 28 nosler but I do have a 7mm stw and really like it. It's too long for most magazines, I done extensive mods& got it to work nicely, but the 28 nosler is shorter & will duplicate the stw and would be my choice to drive a 180 grain to nearly 3200 fps. Although 3200 fps is great, I wouldn't want it in a medium or light weight rig. A cartridge that would push a 180gr to around 3050 fps would fit the bill for just about anything most people would want to do and still be very recoil tolerable. Some people get 3050 out of a 7mm Rm. I have three of them. I personally wouldn't push mine that hard even if I could get there with them, which I can't. The Sherman cartridges seem very well though out. 7mm300wm/7mm practical seems very nice also. Right now, there is not hardly anything mainstream that fits that performance window between 7mmstw/28nosler & 7mm rm. I keep hearing 7mm prc but I wouldn't bank on it and even if it happens you would want to wait till someone else makes brass for it. That pretty much leaves one of the Shermans or 7mm300wm(or 7mm practical variant)

28 nosler would probably work for you and it could be easily loaded to loaf along @ 3000- 3050fps with out breaking a sweat. But I personally haven't loaded for it and have no clue as to if it's a finicky round or not so I don't feel qualified to tell you to go for it.

Brass is probably going to be available for years to come in 28 nosler & 7mm weatherby. Not saying it won't be for the others but I really think that it will be for those two. I have no idea what saami spec freebore is for the weatherby. I have glanced at the saami freebore for the 28N and if memory serves me correctly, it favors a 160ish grain bullet. You could probably get away with running 180s with saami freebore in the 28N. You wouldn't gain case capacity as much as having more freebore but you probably wouldn't need it unless you're chasing 3200fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.