7mm rifle build

Guess a SWAG but......Grab some 6.5x284 norma lapua case run it thru a 7mm mandrel load and you are at 280 AI vel. Set the chamber to a 40 degree shoulder and .010 case taper and you have a simple AI fireform using a jammed bullet ideally. Now you have exceeded vel of 280AI and have equal powder capacity.

Even SAAMI shows the sharp AI shoulder and less tapered cases are good to almost 70K max mean pressure 65K max variable psi 69.1K. With lapua cases no issue at all from my experience with numerous loadings.

If it were me I would set throat for the 175-180 eld and bergers as you have lots of room with the short fatter 284 case even in a medium action. 24-26" barrel

Lapua cases easy forming or not... whats not to like.... I do like the longer case neck of the 280 better but not a deal breaker.

Unless factory loaded ammo is a must have that would be my choice. Tech you could shoot 284 win ammo in that chamber.

my 280 rem needs to be 3.480 long and 4 more grains of powder to match the velocity and then it is single feed. the 284 win is only 3.210 long will mag feed with no extra work on action. 284 win also has lapua brass option. 280 ackley will be the better choice if velocity is a big concern and the 280 will be better if factory ammo is a concern. pick one and enjoy
Since he has a rem 700 long action, he can load as long as about 3.7", so OAL isn't an issue.

thats a good point. I assumed it was because he had 473 bolt he was looking at those two cartidges. If that is not a requirement.......

It's at the smith. 4-8 weeks away. Decided to go 280 AI SAAMI length chamber with a free bore for 160+ class bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.