22" 30 cal - Mtn Rifle build input wanted :)

Northkill

If you had a 22" 30 cal 9-twist M24/M40 Bartlein Carbon barrel, what would you chamber for a light-weight mountain rifle? It would be going on an existing Christensen Arms Classic 270 WSM action so the bolt face & OAL (ejection port) would have to match that action. The 300 WSM is great, but maybe I want something more "fun". 😉

Probably be running Hammers or 175 BD-2's.

Last edited:
All I can think of is if you have enough bolt face to enlarge it, build more or less the same thing on the Lapua or the .416 case. There are several wildcats to choose from. Lots of work and expense for minimal gain over the WSM in a 22" tube. Then there is also always the brass issue. I would do a 300WSM myself, make it special by throating it for the bullet I wanted to shoot.

Just google Lazzeroni cartridges if you want to know about the Patriot. I keep forgetting about those cartridges.

If memory serves the Patriot is 416 case. Pretty sure you would get another 100fps but less than 200 in a 22" tube. You would need to modify the action rails, boltface and most likely magazine. The WSM is on the 404 case and uses a regular magnum boltface.

Would a 300 Sherman Max have a shorter OAL than the WSM? Might work better for seating out further in the current mag box if so... Probably need to stick with the SS in the Sherman line options. The Mega looks like fun though.

Last edited:
300 Max is just a 30-7 SAUM improved, so if both the max and WSM were throated equally, the wsm would be longer. Personally for the 175, I would see if I could get the 3.100" Wyatts box fitted in the action, and throat them as long as you could with the 175 and still fit, the max would likely even need a longer throat. You have probably seen my load work up on the Badlands thread of a savage ultra light with proof 24" tube chambered in a SAAMI spec WSM with the 175, more throat would REALLY help. I am at 2.930" OAL @ .055" off for best accuracy, but touching the lands @ 2.985" the bullet looks like this -

20220410_092108.jpg

It is WAY down in there, the bearing surface is at the shoulder body junction. I'm not sure even adding .115" of throat to SAAMI to make it 3.100" @ lands would be enough for optimum seating, so for the 175 bdII, the Max may be a better option as far as optimal seating (the Max may even need an extended throat), and probably just a small amount less performance than a proper throated WSM.

Last edited:
There is also this option, the Wyatts mid length box, allows 3.235" OAL, though it says it will not work with most clones......could be something you could look into though.