22" 30 cal - Mtn Rifle build input wanted :)

If you had a 22" 30 cal 9-twist M24/M40 Bartlein Carbon barrel, what would you chamber for a light-weight mountain rifle? It would be going on an existing Christensen Arms Classic 270 WSM action so the bolt face & OAL (ejection port) would have to match that action. The 300 WSM is great, but maybe I want something more "fun". 😉

Probably be running Hammers or 175 BD-2's.
What could be more fun than a 300 WSM? Accuracy and component availability are huge fun factor integers.

With regard to short action seating depth and magazine length, I have seen zero issues shooting the 1.435" long 180 gr Scirocco II. No feed issues, no donuts, and right at 3025 fps pushed by RL 23 out of 24" barrel.

Last edited:
Light and compact to tip a bull over at 1k? I'll have to think about that one for a minute. Of course, my assumption was, or is... that it would be used for animals up to Elk in size, perhaps you're not thinking of Elk? in that case I stand with my original pick. 😉 😊
Yep, all conditions being right, I always feel best if I know I can reach out in a pinch. That confidence makes me better in the short-to-medium range situations too. In mountain hunting most shots are reasonably close, but the rare moment comes when an opportunity across the valley presents itself. I like to be ready. And ready means knowing your equipment and your abilities as much as it means the equipment being able to do it. Practice, practice, practice... The 300 WSM is growing on me - if I can get it to work. We'll see.

The 300 WSM is growing on me - if I can get it to work.
Interesting sentiment. I can't really imagine what this statement means to you aside from short action magazine constraints but I confess I haven't read all the posts.

Regardless, it is true that any magazine fed short action imparts BC / range limitations. For that reason I'm building my 300 WSM Mtn Rifle on a blue-printed M70 CRF long action. I'm planning to shoot 200 AB inside 600 yds and 210 ABLR beyond 600. Those divergent weight/BC boolits will require some extra diligence in the field. I've got a Bartlein #4 CF on order since December. Looks like I may see it by Thanksgiving. I have a CF Stocky's VG2, and I'll be installing a brake rather than suppressor because mine will be 26" barrel. Hoping to finish near 7 lbs bare rifle.

I'm also keeping my short action 300 WSM, mentioned above, in spite of its magazine limitations because this chambering is well proven and mine has shown to be capable of 0.16 moa at 300 yds with handloads in the factory original rifle, so it makes sense to me. This rifle is going to my 'smith this week to get the action blue-printed and a new 26" Brux #3 because the 21 yr old Win factory barrel is toast. I may eventually mount it in a CF VG2 also. The market just makes it a bit of a challenge to get stocks inlet for the M70 action.

Rifles are kinda like boats. They're a choice of compromises in pursuit of the owner's priorities. There isn't one that does everything exceptionally well. You might need 2! 👍😉
I'm going to have to play with what I have for now. Got too many horses in the stable.

17 WSM 2) Savage laminate thumbhole
223 Rem 700
22 Creed custom
6.5 Creed Christensen Ridgeline
6.5x284 Christensen Classic
6.5 PRC Christensen Summit TI
6.5 Sherman Max custom
270 WSM Christensen Classic
27 Nosler custom
7-LRM Gunwerks Magnus
7 Allen Mag (Kirby Allen)
Need a 30 or 338 yet to top it off don't you think? :)

I'm going to have to play with what I have for now. Got too many horses in the stable.

223 Rem 700
22 Creed custom
6.5 Sherman Max custom
27 Nosler custom
7-LRM Gunwerks Magnus

I would say a 25 SAUM before a 30 cal (your 7 lrm and 7am will do everything a 30 will) and then do a 338 Rum after.

223 Rem 700
22 Creed custom
6.5 Sherman Max custom
27 Nosler custom
7-LRM Gunwerks Magnus
Sounds about right to me!

If memory serves the Patriot is 416 case. Pretty sure you would get another 100fps but less than 200 in a 22" tube. You would need to modify the action rails, boltface and most likely magazine. The WSM is on the 404 case and uses a regular magnum boltface.
Lazzeroni cartridges are not off the 416 Rigby case , both the long & short Laz cartridges are shortenened variations off the 338 Excalibur/300 Pegasus with cartridge web diameter at .579" -.580"

**** just looked at the Laz website and it shows web diameter on the new RCC machined brass at .578"
835762F3-510D-41CF-A887-EDCC8C5C6A44.jpeg

Last edited:
Lazzeroni cartridges are not off the 416 Rigby case , both the long & short Laz cartridges are shortenened variations off the 338 Excalibur/300 Pegasus with cartridge web diameter at .579" -.580"

**** just looked at the Laz website and it shows web diameter on the new RCC machined brass at .578"
What's your professional opinion on the case design?