What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

I have weighed in once before.. but, I have had some high quality hunting for 'yotes this year. lots of success has been had with a custom Mod. 70 chambered in 223 WSSM with a 1:14" twist barrel running 40 grain Hornady V-Max and Berger HP's, along with Nosler 40 and 50 grain ballistic tips. for the ragged pelt days of summer.. 257 Roberts with 90 Grain Sierra Blitz Kings.. superior red mist effect. also had a few occasions to pack my 270 up and go 400+ yard 'yote shooting for those that were molesting the cattle on my friend's ranch south of Jack's Valley. wonderful results were had with 115 grain V-max and Speer 110 grain hollow points. emphasis on the V-Max.... scary accurate in my rifle. as for my stand by 17 Rem.. awesome pelt saver with 25 grain V-max, 25 Grain Horn HP's, and Berger 25 Grain HP's. even the 30 grainers seem to be more accurate this year over last. I was able to make a good clean kill from 25 yards to 175 yards. just remember Y'all target prep your brass.. you will never be sorry you did.. I have not been.. the 17 Rem, 223 WSSM, 257 Rob, and 270 Win all got target brass prep over the winter.. I am still impressed with the substantial accuracy increase over last year.
gun)
good hunting
the gunsmith

Same as every thing else..308 win. hogs,dogs,frogs,deer, bear, bulls, sheep, goats
and any thing else that needs shooting. 308 does it all,never fail to kill, what would
I need any thing else for?
william4440

.223AI, 1/8 twist, 75 AMax = dead 'yotes....:D

Yote5-6-11.jpg

yote.jpg

My favorite is a 25-06 using Speer 87 grain TNT bullets. Now saying that, I've killed more coyotes with my .223 AR's than any other rifle because I carry it more often.

I'm with ya' Meruhl,
223/556 Stag Mod 6 on calm days with 55gr. Sierra Game Kings pushed by 25 gr. of Varget...Win mod 70 Boss 243 w/ 70gr. Nosler purple tip varmint's pushed by 41 gr. of Varget, or 75gr. V-maxes pushed by 38.5 gr. of Varget on those windy, or longer range days!! Both backed up with a Mossberg 12 Gauge ulti-mag for those up close and personal critters!!:D

.243 Ackley with the V-Max 87gr.............................if Im fur hunting I just get closer and use my .19 Badger 32gr......................almost no exists.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.