.204 Ruger for Coyotes, what is your opinion?

For now I have settled on A2520 29.5 grains, with 39 grain SBK. If I do my part they will almost go in darn near same hole, but some days I cannot hold it that steady:oops::oops: the drops are spot on with my scope right on at 200 yds, 1st hash mark at 300 yds 2nd hash mark at 400 yds and today checked the 3rd hash mark, it is on for 500 yds. What a sweet easy gun to shoot; now time to kill some coyotes. The scope is the Vortex 4-12-40mm 1 inch tube Tactical .

Last edited:
For now I have settled on A2520 29.5 grains, with 39 grain SBK. If I do my part they will almost go in same hole, but some days I cannot hold it that steady:oops::oops: the drops are spot on with my scope right on at 200 yds, 1st hash mark at 300 yds 2nd hash mark at 400 yds and today checked the 3rd hash mark, it is on for 500 yds. What a sweet easy gun to shoot; now time to kill some coyotes. The scope is the Vortex 4-12-40mm 1 inch tube Tactical .
Same hole!, sounds awesome. Have you choreographed that load. And do you coat your bullets? moly or HBN.
Thank you in advance.
SC

HBN David Tubbs stuff ......... samehole when I am steady, 1/2" group pretty steady 3 shot........ when I shot the drops I was able to hit 2-3" paint spots on the plates very easy out to 500 yds 1st time off the bench had a Harris bipod on it and rabbit ears bag on stock. I am just a so-so group shooter off the bench; it's the hunting side, the 1st shot kill that I like to focus on. The rifle is darn fun to shoot.

Last edited:
HBN David Tubbs stuff ......... samehole when I am steady, 1/2" group pretty steady 3 shot........ when I shot the drops I was able to hit 2-3" paint spots on the plates very easy out to 500 yds 1st time off the bench had a Harris bipod on it and rabbit ears bag on stock. I am just a so-so group shooter off the bench; it's the hunting side, the 1st shot kill that I like to focus on. The rifle is darn fun to shoot.
Thanks for the input.
I shoot a T/C Venture that I can shoot under 1/2" @ 100 yards. I've done a lot of squirrel shooting in Monterey,Co. Cal. out to 350ish yds 32gr V-Max @ 3770fps it really blows them UP!. I've had it in my mind to try the 39gr pills. I'm thinking they will stabilize better than the 32gr.
Thank again.
SC

Thanks for the input.
I shoot a T/C Venture that I can shoot under 1/2" @ 100 yards. I've done a lot of squirrel shooting in Monterey,Co. Cal. out to 350ish yds 32gr V-Max @ 3770fps it really blows them UP!. I've had it in my mind to try the 39gr pills. I'm thinking they will stabilize better than the 32gr.
Thank again.
SC
Love my TC Venture a real sleeper for sure,i've yet to miss a shot yet,better shut up while ahead.

hoping to do like Ohlongarm and keep the projectile inside the coyote........it is a real speedster, the 39 grain is supposed to be going 3850 fps + (25.6" barrel) with 29.5 grains of A2520..it sure leaves a hickey on the soft steel plates at 200-300 yards...

For now I have settled on A2520 29.5 grains, with 39 grain SBK. If I do my part they will almost go in darn near same hole, but some days I cannot hold it that steady:oops::oops: the drops are spot on with my scope right on at 200 yds, 1st hash mark at 300 yds 2nd hash mark at 400 yds and today checked the 3rd hash mark, it is on for 500 yds. What a sweet easy gun to shoot; now time to kill some coyotes. The scope is the Vortex 4-12-40mm 1 inch tube Tactical .
Thanks for the tip on the AA 2520. I have some that I tried for an accurate load for my Swift but it didn't pan out; never considered it for a .204R.
You're gonna love that CZ Varmint. Best deal out there, and it kind of splits the difference between a target and carry rifle. I have one with the Kevlar stock and it sees the most use out of the three .204s I own.

hoping to do like Ohlongarm and keep the projectile inside the coyote........it is a real speedster, the 39 grain is supposed to be going 3850 fps + (25.6" barrel) with 29.5 grains of A2520..it sure leaves a hickey on the soft steel plates at 200-300 yards...
Right there and has a high BC,@0.287 for those quarter mile encounters.Only had one with my 204,but I connected.

do you like the Kevlar stock? How much are they after market............I really do not care for wood stocks, want something that does not shift or change POI.
That stock is great. Palm swell might be a little more than some like, and it's a little heavier than the wood. The true "Kevlar" only came on the factory model rifle that was offered a couple years. But, Bell and Carlson still offers the exact same style "plain" synthetic w/full bedding block to fit the heavy-barrel 527; their style no. 6527. Also make a similar stock with vertical grip and what appears to be a narrower palm swell. Several colors, too, and the price ($285) isn't bad.

that veritical grip looks very interesting, it is similar to my MX-10 Perazzi trap gun with the vertical grip, in that shotgun it pointed very well and the vertical grip was handy for trigger control........I shot double release.. it was just great on doubles........I am going to research that stock a little more. Thank you!