Choice of caliber for coyotes

loghome

Looking for opinion on what caliber would be the best for coyotes. At ranges never know anywhere from 10 yards to 400 yards. I'm putting a pulsar thermal scope on the rifle. I will be reloading for it. Thanks for any information appreciate it.

Look at flat shooting cartridges with plenty of velocity in the .20 to max .264 calibers. Something like the .204 Ruger, .22-250, .243 Winchester, or 6 Creedmoor. I use a 6.5 Creedmoor because I was easier to get parts to build at the time, cheaper than going 6 Creedmoor, and has better barrel life. I personally don't like .223 for coyote, because in my experience it doesn't put them down well, especially when limited to lead free options like I am.

Looking for opinion on what caliber would be the best for coyotes. At ranges never know anywhere from 10 yards to 400 yards. I'm putting a pulsar thermal scope on the rifle. I will be reloading for it. Thanks for any information appreciate it.
Depends on quite a few things.

Are you just killing them or taking hides?

Range you plan to shoot?

How much wind will typically have to deal with.

I've shot truckloads of coyotes over the last thirty years with .220 Swift, .204 Ruger, .264wm, 260Rem, and even the 7RM and 7mm STW.

Out to about 400yds in relatively calm conditions the .204 is outstanding and with the right bullet and shot placement produces excellent hides.

The Swift is it's equal to about 600yds.

If it's going to be very windy I just take take one of the .260's because of much higher BC bullets that are superior when fighting the wind.

One that doesn't get the love anymore it should is the .22 Hornet wich is an outstanding varminter out to about 400yds.

I am a 300 and in guy,most are 150 or under,have had a few runners with my 223,will say great majority of my shots are head on.Caller placement can have a lot to do with shot angles.Last runner I had was in New Mexico a few weeks ago,he went about 60 yards as I shot him a little far back but the 53 grain V MAX got the job done.My 223 is running 3300 fps while my 250 is 3600 with 55 grain V MAX.If one caliber was the absolute best there would only be one left.Lots of calibers work if you hit the sweet spot.Tons of deer killed here in Okla with a 223,me included in that group.Main thing is enjoy whatever you get.Coyotes are most fun in the world in my books,guess that is why I have loved it so much since 1972.

Many choices all good! I prefer .243 just because of its flexibility in bullet weights, access to components, vast powder selection for good loads, so what's not to like? Drive 55 gr up to 4K fps! Have youngsters? Great first whitetail rifle. Girl friend or wife? Prob lose it to them. And no I don't mean both at same time!😱

Depends on quite a few things.

Are you just killing them or taking hides?

Range you plan to shoot?

How much wind will typically have to deal with.

I've shot truckloads of coyotes over the last thirty years with .220 Swift, .204 Ruger, .264wm, 260Rem, and even the 7RM and 7mm STW.

Out to about 400yds in relatively calm conditions the .204 is outstanding and with the right bullet and shot placement produces excellent hides.

The Swift is it's equal to about 600yds.

If it's going to be very windy I just take take one of the .260's because of much higher BC bullets that are superior when fighting the wind.

One that doesn't get the love anymore it should is the .22 Hornet wich is an outstanding varminter out to about 400yds.
Sir, I had several 22 hornets, it is by no way a 400 yard varmint, unless you're shooting chipmunks, or squirrels. Check out the ballistics. 200 yards on gh's or coyotes with perfect shot placement.

Maximum 400 yards go with a 204, been there already and it just plain works. 400 yards is a poke , doesn't matter what you're shooting.

I wish I could give you some advice, but I can't even make that decision for myself..... from my own safe. I'll be thinking all day and rationalizing about which rifle I should take to hunt this evening. I will definitively decide on a rifle and then change my mind a few times before I leave to hunt, and then I will be sitting on stand questioning my decision. They will all work fine. Looks like you live in PA, so fur probably isn't a concern. Close your eyes, reach blindly into your safe and take the first one you touch. Then set up accordingly.

Thanks for all the info. I got a 243 wssm just for this. But I got a used one and I think the barrel is shot out. At 100 yds I can only hold about a 3 inch group. I'm going to take it out of the stock and see if there's a problem there. Where I'm going to use it the most is the side hill across from my house. Usually little or no wind and I'm not looking to sell hide's or anything just thin them out.

Sir, I had several 22 hornets, it is by no way a 400 yard varmint, unless you're shooting chipmunks, or squirrels. Check out the ballistics. 200 yards on gh's or coyotes with perfect shot placement.
I've used it quite successfully on thin skinned varmints and predators even at ranges exceeding 400 yards.

With an MV of 2,700fps or higher There's more than enough remaining energy at 400 yards for anything from Prairie dogs, to Bobcats and Coyotes.

1645988854704.png

Further with the 40-45gr soft points there's little danger of ruining the hide even with an exit hole.