Larger caliber AR for coyotes?

Olympic arms UMAR, mine is a 22-250 and shoots 5 shot .5 inch groups at 100 yards with hand loads. I used 40 grain nosler BT and they caused quite a bit of laughter this summer prairie dog hunting with the red mist. You just have to watch yourself and not do too many mag dumps because she gets hot in a hurry.
whats a UMAR if you dont mind me asking?

Just started using 6mm DTI this year, wanted 243 wssm but Mike talked me out of it. AR-10 was not even considered because of size and weight. Pushing 70gn nosler bullet to 3100fps out of a 22" bbl. 9 for 9 until last night, hit one square in the shoulder, he piled up then got up and started spinning then was out of there…… very little blood first 200 yds then dried up he never stopped for 500 yds. Anyways, I'm switching bullets……lol!

I can't understand the notion of 223 not being enough for 40-50lb coyotes under 300yrds. I've shot many coyotes and have only seen 2 that didn't drop instantly from a 223 and those 2 didn't make it more than 30yrds. If you're just looking for the WOW factor in blowing them up then go with the AR10 in 308 and use ballistic tips. The AR10 will work well on deer also.
I've doubled lunged a yote with my swift years ago that ran off in a semi- circle spraying blood all over the wheat stubble. He made it about 30 yards before he tumbled. He took off like I missed him too, really surprised me

I haven't read through all the responses but something to consider before stepping up to the AR-10 is weight. I just sold my 6.5CM AR-10 largely due to weight, I just never wanted to haul it around. There are plenty of AR-15 cartridges that would do well on game up to deer size.

My favorite coyote caliber is the one I have with me at the time . I've used a 223 a lot as well as a 30-06 and a 7mm rem mag . dead is dead it's just a matter of how messy it gets .

I haven't read through all the responses but something to consider before stepping up to the AR-10 is weight. I just sold my 6.5CM AR-10 largely due to weight, I just never wanted to haul it around. There are plenty of AR-15 cartridges that would do well on game up to deer size.
my first AR10 was a 6.5 creedmoor that I built.
Never thinking about the weight. I put a ss krieger 22" barrel, full mass bcg and a magpul prs stock. After the Leopold 8.5x25 scope it comes in over 13#. **** it was heavier than I wanted to carry

6 months later, I started researching components on a 6CM AR. Ened up with a PR carbon fiber barrel, a luth AR stock, and a titanium V7 bolt carrier. Even with a 31oz Viper PST gen 2 scope its right at 10# and shoots lights out. That C.F barrel really dies the job dissipating heat too.
However, it isn't for the faint of heart- I have 4k into it...less the scope.
But it shoots

Attachments

• 20220218_173600.jpg
    20220218_173600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20220218_173208.jpg
    20220218_173208.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 57