Long Range load for Coyotes/AR-15

An A R 's accuracy depends on a lot of things the same as a bolt-action rifles does . They like all other things have evolved over the years and improvements have been made , a lot depends on who puts them together on the civilian side of it as to how well they shoot groups . As for my coyote hunting I still like a good bolt action rifle mostly because that is what I grew up with . A223 running 55 grain Sierra boat tail hollow points for normal calling and a 6.5x284 running 120 grain Nosler ballistic tips for things at a little more distance . You guys might try an M14 there were a few of them still in use in the brown water taxi service till around 4/29/1975 . I don't really care what branch you were in you are still in the original 1 percent club good and bad in all of them, people are people some of them are upstanding and some not so much .
I like Sierra. In my Ranch Rifle I use 52gr, BTHPMatch.

Attachments

• Ruger Ranch Rifle 007.JPG
    Ruger Ranch Rifle 007.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Ranchrifle target.JPG
    Ranchrifle target.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 61
I run the 55 grain as they are a game king bullet and for me they open up more reliably then what I experienced with the 52 and 53 BTHP match but still had the accuracy I was looking for . The faster twist rates that are normal today tend to like heaver bullets then the slower twist rates of the older rifles and carbines .

You guys shooting varmints with AR's amaze me. I shot the M-16 in '67 and if we hit a target the size of a half sheet of plywood we would get an expert badge.
my 6 creedmoor I assembled Proof Research carbon fiber barrel shooting 87 gr vmax w/reloader 17.
Bolt guns are good too, but if you've ever had a runner, you'll appreciate the lack of recoil and quick follow up shot...or 4. It really isn't fair for your quarry

Attachments

• 20220218_173208.jpg
    20220218_173208.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 68