Larger caliber AR for coyotes?

Bowhunter57

Does anyone here use a larger caliber AR for coyotes? (larger than .223/5.56)
If so, what caliber are you using?
What calibers would you suggest?

I've had my eyes on the 6.8spc and 6.5 grendel, for a while and the performance specs are impressive.

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Does anyone here use a larger caliber AR for coyotes? (larger than .223/5.56)
If so, what caliber are you using?
What calibers would you suggest?

I've had my eyes on the 6.8spc and 6.5 grendel, for a while and the performance specs are impressive.

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

If you are going to upgrade your AR15 by changing the upper the 6.8 and6.5 Grendel are good choices. If you are looking to buy a complete rifle, I would look into the AR10 (Or Remington's
R 25). you can get then in larger calibers like the .243,260,7/08 and 308 +others.

The .243 makes a great Coyote killer and the 260 Rem can also be used for deer with great
success.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom,
This would be my second AR purchase, as the last one was a RRA A4 Varmint. I've given some thought buying the upper and lower separate, but I don't think the R-25 can be purchased that way.

I need to shop online to see who sells an upper in larger calibers than .223/5.56 and go from there. I know RRA sells the 6.8spc and 6.5 grendel, but I'm not sure what other manufacturers sell them...or .243 or .308 or etc.

I perfer the stopping power of the larger calibers, for coyotes. :cool:

Bowhunter57

we are always looking for the ultimate coyote rifle,in the last few years i have had a dtech 243wssm built, and a dpms 6.5 creedmore. both are great all around packages but the heavier front end weight of the creedmore makes me steadier sitting with pop on stoney point.i shoot 123amax furthest shot is 603yds, several doubles i dont think i could have pulled off with bolt gun.these heavier bullets anchor them.

+1 for the Creedmoor. I have a POF creedmoor that shoots less than MOA out to 900 yds. I love the way it handles & carries. I shot a 2.5" 3shot group yesterday @ 610yds with 140gr factory Amax. I've only been shooting LR for about 5 or 6 months now. I know quite a few people that have creedmoors & they're all plenty accurate..... I also have a DPMS LR243. I never have liked the way it handled. It's not a light gun but it seems heavier than it really is. I put a Gen3 NV scope on it for hogs & only shoot it off of big Stoney Point shooting sticks..... IMHO there is night & day difference in the two guns.... No pun intended

If you don't mind building the gun there's tons of options I have a 6.8 I'm putting together now while I wait for a custom barrel in 6x6.8 which I think will be an awesome set up but its a few months out yet. 6x45 is a decent option and cheap as well. There is also a .243 lbc which is basically the grendal necked down. Depends on what your hunting style is and how portable you want to be the grendal really shines with 20" and longer barrels vs the 6.8 which is designed specifically for a 14-16" barrel.

If you aren't opposed to the larger frame of the AR10 style rifles, go for it. I don't feel its needed for coyotes as there are a LOT of calibers for the AR15 that will do the same work.

The only reason IMO, to jump to the AR10 would be to run a .260 or a creedmoor, and both are WAY PLENTY OF GUN for coyotes.
I shoot a .243WSSM and with 105 gr bullets, it completely destroys them. My partner gets upset because he likes to save fur, and there usually isn't any worth keeping if I let a pill fly.

Depending on your shooting distance, there is no reason to look beyond the 243 or 25 WSSM if "larger than .223" is what you're after.
If you don't plan to shoot beyond 3-400...then a 6.8 might work better...but the point is. AR10 isn't really necessary. LOTS of calibers in an AR15 will wreck a dog.

Maybe consider the 22-250. Not bigger, per say, but plenty fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
CBass, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a partner that whines about hides. Our 22-250's aren't usually too hard on em either. My main concern is getting em all in the truck. The coyotes here really aren't worth keeping for anything, but we sell most of our cats, so I guess it DOES matter.... A lil bit

CBass, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a partner that whines about hides. Our 22-250's aren't usually too hard on em either. My main concern is getting em all in the truck. The coyotes here really aren't worth keeping for anything, but we sell most of our cats, so I guess it DOES matter.... A lil bit

I'm forbidden from sending a round at a cat until I either get a smaller caliber or start shooting lighter FMJ's or Solids.

My 105 Amax at 3150 and some change, just opens things up if it hits any bone. Occasionally, you'll see a clean pass through between ribs...and once I even had a front entrance between ribs that never came out...but we found it in the back ham.

I NEVER bring up the concern of weight savings between an AR15 and an AR10 or it's counterparts...because mine pushes 17lbs loaded. No big deal for me. Shooting a 13lb AR10 would be a cake walk.
That would be a big turn off for a LOT of guys predator hunting but we train all year for it.

If you think you needed more horse power to blow the stuffing out of them...I'll not be the one to discourage the OP. Blow em to pieces I say. Just saying you don't need something real big to do it. (but I will be using my 300 SAUM AR10 to pick off a few this year I'm sure)

So, would you guys say that I might be able to get the same...or simular knock-down power from a 5.56/.223, IF I reloaded a heavier bullet? Something in a 55gr. or 60gr. V-Max bullet? A decent reload should get either of these bullet weights right at the 3000 f.p.s. range.

I know my .22-250 would run a 55gr. V-Max at 3800 f.p.s. and it would ruin a groundhog. :cool:

Bowhunter57

So, would you guys say that I might be able to get the same...or simular knock-down power from a 5.56/.223, IF I reloaded a heavier bullet? Something in a 55gr. or 60gr. V-Max bullet? A decent reload should get either of these bullet weights right at the 3000 f.p.s. range.

I know my .22-250 would run a 55gr. V-Max at 3800 f.p.s. and it would ruin a groundhog. :cool:

Bowhunter57

The same or similar. No, not likely, but it will still be plenty.
55 gr seem to work plenty well for my partners, so 60-70gr pills will surely do the job effectively.

I've took two yotes with 6.5 Grendel last season with great results.

photo-9.jpg

Large male and a small female below.

photo-23.jpg

I've missed my very first one with 300/221 fieball (300 blk) and I'm waiting for a 6x45 barrel from Mike at Dtech.:D

Give a look to the 6.8 SPC. Fine little caliber for white tail and hogs. should do quite the number on yotes too. I call it the 270 lite. 16 in barrel is all you need with a 1-11tw and the spc II chamber. Ammo is available at most big stores and totally supported online.