Anyone switch to a larger caliber for coyotes?

I whacked one @ 12yds with my 300 ultra shooting 180gr NBT handloads. It was quartering toward me. Literally blew the front right and rear left legs off and opened the chest and belly like a zipper. Good news I could've used the scrapes to patch my fur gloves

lol yup, I shot one time coming straight at me one day at about 50 yds. hit him in lower jaw and straight through to the tail... no hide there...

well Ive thought about going bigger than my 300 wsm, but instead I've decided to go smaller, with more powder. Cant wait to whack one with the 7ultra.

Traumatic childhood skinning coyotes..... SO I obliterate them to avoid any temptation to skin them.
Now you're talkin! I hunt yotes with a 5.3, as in "5.3L Chevy pickup, whatever is in the back seat that'll launch lead", the bigger the better!

Last edited:
I know a DNR agent who takes part in coyote control, he uses a 6mmAI with 95gr VLDs made just for this purpose. I follow his lead with my 6-06 and 85gr Sierra BTSP. I will also use .223 & .223 AI. I stay away from the ballistic tips, although not sure it would matter in my 6-06. I know guys who hunt them for their fur and will use .17 & .20 cal centerfires, none of which use ballistic tips, many use Chan Nagel bullets.

Jon

I don't care to save a hide either , because most of them are so nasty, but when I hit them with a 147 FMJ it doesn't do that much damage, and I haven't had any run either.

gun)

Last edited:
I actually have not changed my caliber for shooting coyotes. I still have a brace of four rifles. #1 is my 17 Remington, #2 is my 22-250, #3 is my 223 WSSM, and last is my 25-06. all have great range and velocity. if I have to shoot across a long prairie I can, if I have to take a 400 yard shot I have 3 rifles capable of that shot if I have to go 500 + yards I can with the 25-06. the 17 Rem is for anything under 200 yards or where I know I have short shots because of heavy cover or lots of shrubbery.. for all around field work has been my 22-250 and 223WSSM. I have yet to change any calibers for others.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts