Anyone use a lever-action for coyotes?

Bowhunter57

I'm considering the purchase of a lever-action rifle for coyotes. All of my choices have been Marlin brands, due to their selection of calibers. Here are a few that I'm considering:
444XLR
308MX
336C (30-30)
1895 Cowboy (45/70)
1895XLR (45/70)

Has anyone used these calibers and/or actions for hunting coyotes?
What are your reasons for using a lever-action?
What is your caliber of choice?

I'm not concerned with saving the fur, as the coyotes in the area are a menace.

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Used a Winchester 94 30-30 in my younger years. Killed my share of coyotes with it. Biggest reason was it was always with me. Kept it in the truck for years along with a Ruger 1022. Remington used to make what they called a accellerator for it. Which was a saboted 22 bullet. Really extended the range, but accuracy seemed to suffer a little. Always used the 150 gr Rem Core-loc flat nose. Iron sights only and with 7 rounds I could usually catch up with a running yote. Fun, fast handling little rifle.

I would imagine a 30-30 would be about the best all around lever-action rifle, for the job. Low recoil, good bullet selection, reasonable range and affordable to purchase...as well as the ammo for the rifle. :)

I just got off of the phone with a friend of mine that's owns/shot the 444 Marlin and 45/70 Govt. and he has no love loss for the recoil from either one. Even if you hit the intended target, a quick follow up shot isn't as easy as it might be imagined.

Bowhunter57

Mike 338 said:
308 MX is the real deal if you get a good one. Never hunted coyotes with one though.
Mike 338,
Is there a such thing as a bad 308 MX? If reloads were used, I don't know how the rifle could be bad, unless the rifle's previous owner shot the rifling out.

If you own one, what's your opinion of the recoil?

I used to own a Remington 788 in .308, that I used for groundhogs and coyotes. It was a little snappy on the recoil, but I didn't mind it and didin't think it was more than I could handle. It was an extremely accurate rifle with the reloads I was using. 110gr. Hornady V-Max, IMR-3031 at 3040 fps and "clover leaf" groups at 100 yards. :cool: I sold it to my cousin and shortly afterwards he had a break-in and it was stolen.

Bowhunter57

I've shot a couple of coyotes with a 308MX several years ago, right after I took it to South Dakota and shot an antelope with it. I used factory Hornady ammo that would shoot consistently into an inch to an inch and quarter. The shots were when calling and were never over 150 (not intended to be that short, just happened that way) and I too was not looking to collect the furs. The leverevolution bullet did blow the stuffing out of them, baseball size mess out the backside, but it was early during deer season and they were not close to prime.

I also shot one with a 218 bee in a 1894CL, a pet caliber and gun of mine. Bad shot, had to follow it up. Not the gun or round's fault. I just like to shoot the levers, it's an addiction.

SM

Mike 338,
Is there a such thing as a bad 308 MX? If reloads were used, I don't know how the rifle could be bad, unless the rifle's previous owner shot the rifling out.

If you own one, what's your opinion of the recoil?

I used to own a Remington 788 in .308, that I used for groundhogs and coyotes. It was a little snappy on the recoil, but I didn't mind it and didin't think it was more than I could handle. It was an extremely accurate rifle with the reloads I was using. 110gr. Hornady V-Max, IMR-3031 at 3040 fps and "clover leaf" groups at 100 yards. :cool: I sold it to my cousin and shortly afterwards he had a break-in and it was stolen.

Bowhunter57

I've got a 338 Marlin Express MXLR. I don't even notice the recoil until about 25 shots. I've followed the 308 MX on Marlin Owners Forum and there are some pretty amazing groups produced by some of them right out of the box. The Leverevolution bullets are about the most inovative thing to happen to rifles in recent history changing short range leverguns into mid range hunting rifles that are a dream to carry in the field.

To answer your question, "is there a such thing as a bad 308 MX?", the answer is "ohhhhhh yes". I deleted a 250 word rant and instead, advise that you keep your receipt handy, send the rifle back to the manufacturer if it's defective or request a refund. The MX concept is solid and Hornady FTX bullets are great. The guys making the rifle are the weak link so proceed with caution.

This link is only a sampling of the many problems- http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f94/death-marlin-levergun-96102/

I have used my 30-30 Winchester lever action for coyotes before with good success. Iron sights are a lot faster to line up a moving target. gun)

I used my Winchester model 94 just once. I hit the coyote at 35yrds between the shoulders running away from me. It literally blew an eight inch cavity in the carcass and totally ruined the hide. Now I use 223 Remington with 55grn V-Max, drops them instantly with minimal fur damage.

I hunt coyotes with my Browning BLR .243 often, simply because it is the only varmint type caliber i own. With a 4-14x Redfield on it pushing a 70gr TNT hp it deonates coyotes! The BLR and all other BLR's i've been around have always been as accurate as a bolt gun, and often more accurate than a factory bolt rifle. I shoot coyotes with it largely because it's what i keep with me, and usually pack it on actual coyote hunts. I only turn to the 7mag in high winds, or if i think it will be over 350-400 yards. Since i run across them while big game hunting i do often kill them with the 7 but the BLR is my real coyote gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.