What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

My favorite coyote rifle is my 22-250. The longest shot i've had so far has been 300 yds. Dirt rolled the dog first shot.

At this time; it's a Wby "older version" Varmintmaster with a true too the contour of Wby's barrel in 26 inches... caliber is 6XC with a 70gr Sierra #1505 match king, sporting a Leupold 3.5x10 40mm scope with mil's. Not many get away if I do my part.

BH, so true. Who amongst us would haul back to the house or camp to get our favorite coyote gun and take the chance it'll be gone.

Well I used to have a .223WSSM, but I never seemed to have it on hand when a dog was anywhere near. It was an awesome rifle, but after starting up handloading and seeing what I could do with it I promptly traded it! I know myself too well. According to the book I could get 4600fps out of it, and me being me wouldve tried for 4650++++:D so rather than burn up a bbl on a sub moa dog and rat gun, I traded it to a buddy who had an extra model 70 in 300wby! Besides Roy just posted something about superglue not working on loose primer pockets haha. My buddy's realy into varmint whackin, and Im into bigger critters while dogs are targets of oppertunity. So now I either take a 22lr or my 270wsm if Im varmint huntin, or whatever I have on hand when Im out shootin, or huntin. I havent yet seen if the 300wby is big enough for coyotes, but Im sure that Ill be able to tell you pretty soon hahaha:D. Im thinkin itll do just fine, but I can deffinately see the bennifits of a 22 centerfire of some sort, just based on price per round.
I see an AR in my near future hehehe

I like either my CZ 527 American in .223. I've been thinking of getting a 6.8 SPC upper for my RRA to use as well. A little more reach and a bit more horse power downrange. The .223 works well though.

I tell all the guy's at work, If I did not own a 22-250 of some kind, I do not think I could sleep!!! As far as My preference, I think it is the best Caliber ever invented!! I also shoot a 17 rem a lot to save on fur!! 223, 221FB ,222,204 243, and the trusty 12 gauge for the close calls, but whose counting!!!

winmag said:
I havent yet seen if the 300wby is big enough for coyotes, but Im sure that Ill be able to tell you pretty soon hahaha:D. Im thinkin itll do just fine, but I can deffinately see the bennifits of a 22 centerfire of some sort, just based on price per round.
I see an AR in my near future hehehe
winmag,
I'd like to hear about your results with your 300 Wby, for coyotes. I was tossing a coin for the .25-06 that I purchased and a Vanguard 300 Wby. :cool: I don't think I'll be dissatisfied with my 25, but it sure would be sweet to see a coyote magically transformed into a canoe with a 125gr. V-Max from a 300 Wby. :D

As for an AR, I own one, love it, but the .223 caliber requires a 50gr. bullet or heavier, to get good kills on a coyote. They're tough customers.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

My main coyote rifle is a M700 VLS in 22-250. I have killed quite a few with the 50 gr BT but had 3 runners. In all cases, (same stand location on a bluff) I hit the point of the shoulder quartering on at ranges of 100-125 yds and the bullet must have never made it past the shoulder.
JDCoyote012008.jpg

I tried the 60 gr PT since I found a load that would shoot in the 1:14 twist that was under .5" and shot this coyote at 80 yds head on. The little 60 gr PT entered the chest dead center and exited just below the vent.
Entrance...
Coyote0411081.jpg

Exit...
Coyote0411082.jpg

Nosler changed the ogive and I can't get them to shot in my rifle.
I now use the 55 gr BT and it works really well on coyotes. Exits through the slats is about the size of a nickel.
Coyote080108e.jpg

Nosler sent me a box of the 35 gr BTLF (Ballistic Tip Lead Free) prior to the introduction of the bullet last year and I shot this coyote with it.
Exit...
Coyotewith22-25030grBTNL.jpg

Sometimes I use a M700 Classic 257 Roberts. I took this coyote this past winter with a 110 gr AB at 140 yds.
Picture060.jpg

Stay away from the big bones with the smaller calibers/lighter bullets and I don't think you will have many, if any runners.

JD338

Last edited:
I use my Savage 110 in .243 that I've shot for 20 years or my Rem. 870 with 3" mag. and 00 buck. In the .243 I reload with a Sierra 60 gr. HP. Both guns are very effective on the pasture poodles.

"Plain vanilla 243, not as popular as some calibers but, a good choice."

The 243 is an excellent choice for the song dog- weather shooting at the western or eastern ones.

I use a 223 alot-especially at night. I also use a 7mm-08- for the longer range stuff. Not real big on saving the fur. With the 223, I have found that using a more heavier bullet for the bigger eastern and northern song dogs helps. I use a 60gr HP in my 223 and have had some excellent results with putting the dogs down quick and not having them run as much. I have not had very good results with the Vmaxs and the Blitzkings. The 7mm-08 of course, will put them in the hurt locker.

Swift One, Eastern and Northern Song Dogs...where'd that phrase come from?

Here in Western Oklahoma I've heard 'um called Song Dogs since I was sprout. If you live in a the country, you can hear 'um sing their lonely song most nights. They communicate with each other that way. Every now and again my Britteny will join in, although her voice isn't as smooth......

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.