What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

I am going to reload the 06 with 85 gr pills for coyotes. Well let us know what kind of load you come up with for your 25-06.[/QUOTE]

Hey guy's just a thought ... if your reloading for 25.06 Rem; using 30.06 sporting or military brass'…, you might think about turning your necks after you've neck them down in your resizing die. Not turning in a .25 cal from a .30 cal cartridge can lead to chambering and high pressure problems when you don't.

I am going to reload the 06 with 85 gr pills for coyotes. Well let us know what kind of load you come up with for your 25-06.

You may want to try the 87 grain Speer TNT as well. 58 grains of H4831SC gives you about 3500 FPS. I have not tried them on game yet, but the life sized wood chuck target I got are taking a real beating out to 300 yards with that combination.
Not very consistant in weight, but I bought 400 of them, so I have about 100 of 4 different weights (87.1, 87, 86.9, 86.8) and a few foul out round candidates that dont fall into any of those weights.

I'll have some good data on this projectile's terminal performance by this time next month.

Favorite is .243, second favorite is .223 and the .17hmr comes in a close third.

.223 in my neck of the woods is a runner waiting to happen. Average shots are 250+, so I really didn't have much luck with it. Lots of guys around here use 22-250, .220 Swift, and .243. I have a .243 WSSM upper with a 1/8 twist that I can't wait to try out on a song dog, I just know I'm gonna love it! Also I think a .264 WM is in my future for those reeeaaaallly far shots! gun)

Song dogs is a common term for coyotes in Oregon too.
Saber-tooth buzz worm= rattle snake
Speed goat= antelope
Sage rat= ground squirel
whistle pigs=prarrie dogs(not in Oregon)
Thunder chicken= big tom turkey
Swamp donkey= can refer to Black Tailed Deer or Rosevelt Elk in the Coast Range
Prarrie chickens= sage grouse etc.
Some of the terminology is well known, some more local. A Leurgeon is a mythical beast known to steal sox, ammo, essential camping/hunting/fishing supplies, and make weird noises that require investigation in the middle of the night. A.K.A Trolls
I dont know what you guys down south call Gators, so your not alone in the odd terminology of critters Chas1. Plus youve got fish Ive never hered of too.

I think "whistle pig" refers to rock chucks. They whistle, I haven't a clue why.

It is an interrogation technique.
like the APX76, IFF - Interrogate friend of foe...answer right and I dont kill you, andsr wrong and I play you like a chaep fiddle.

Bac in the wordl son. Yget to forget all the people you let behind.

They tell you "dead soldiers protect no one", but really, they sleep, and h guys who live get to relive it all night, every night,. those 81s howing in...

back in the world aint ****, it really aint "gravy" it ju thena rnea;l or he

In MikeMurf0505 post what is

ju thena rnea;l or he

Is this some kinda of interrogation code?

Bingo.
I have a few too many wines at this party, luckily for me I got home before I really got the full effects of it, so all I did was be a jsrk on LRH website and not feel good till about 10 am.

It was very good tasting Chardonnay, but it must have had some very high alchohol content because I was out of it.
Sorry guys.

I use Remington LVSF's, 223 50gr NBT's,LVSF 22-250 55gr NBT. Also I've used my VSSF in 223, 50gr NBT and VSSF 22-250, 55gr NBT. I am reloading my Rem 25-06 Sendero with 100gr NBT for my long range yotes. My go to gun is my LVSF 22-250. I would also like to purchase a LVSF 243, anyone have 1 for sale?

I've been using a .223, but have had several "runners" that I've had a hard time recoverying. So, I decided to go with a caliber that would have a little more knock-down power and purchased a Stevens .25-06. I'm still putting the reloading materials together, so I've not had a chance to shoot it at the range or hunt with it, yet. Based on ballistics, this rifle should be the "Hammer of Thor". :D

What's your caliber of choice, for hunting coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

I may have missed it but I didn't see a 223 AI. I recently built one an I am very impressed.

It gets close to the 22/250 and will hustle the 45 to 50grain bullets 200 ft/sec faster than the
stock 223.

It is easy to fire form and will still fit and feed in the AR type rifle.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts