What makes the 6.5 PRC special?

Basically if your goal in long range hunting is to kill game at long ranges every cartridge made by 1970 will do anything you need to do hunting wise. So if you are into all these new cartridges the last 20 years or so one of four things is true. You get bored easy with things that are practical and time proven! You have more money than brains! You need to be trendy because your life has little meaning otherwise! Last maybe you lack problem solving skills and the ability to think independently! Now this only applies to hunting if you shoot competitively that is a different ball of wax.

Lastly I thought this was about "
What makes the 6.5 PRC special? " Who cares about modern cartridges that are already dying off that never really had much of a following. This is hunting not F-Class or BR.

With that last statement what's the point of anything then? With that logic the .30-06 is the only round we ever needed for anything and everything. Who needs new rifles when grandpas Winchester model 70 can do. Nightforce scope? Pssshh...my dads 1975 redfield scope killed more deer than any nightforce. Why have a hunting forum? The internet and iPhones? We had letters and rotary phones that work just fine!

The 6.5 PRC is around bc Hornady saw a demand. Their engineers created a round that met a lot of the requirements already stated more eloquently by other guys in this thread.

The main push back were from guys who reloaded and had other optimized rounds that beat the PRC or at least kept up with it (which I 100% respect). I understand them not supporting it because they have been doing it all along, so what's the big deal? But to say that guys who want newer, faster, more accurate are the same guys who's lives don't have meaning? That's uncalled for.

This is a hunting forum not Facebook or twitter.

It's not whether the 6.5prc offers anything special it's whether it's percieved as offering something special.
There are shooters who can not afford or do not have access to hunting like many of us do, but they want to shoot and they're reading articles about the precision rifle series and thinking that looks awesome, so they start practicing and enter their first match and maybe don't do as well as they're targets indicated they should have, but as any experienced hunter knows, there's quite a difference between a target and a trophy animal in the crosshairs.
Then they find out that hornady has released a new cartridge: the 6.5 precision rifle cartridge, designed for ultimate performance in a prs event. Then they realize, "That's what i need to compete." Lol
Point is: It's only special if you think it's special

Last edited:
094188F8-61C5-4E62-A5AE-19715ADC4696.jpeg

People started wildcatting the 30-06 about 5 minutes after it was invented. Wanting something different is not a new concept. Anyone who complains that none of this is needed has a very narrow understanding of the free market processes that have driven firearms developement for the last 100 years or so.

Now that ADG is levelling the playing field, as far as brass is concerned, with 6.5 SS, 6.5 SAUM, and 6.5 PRC there's some constructive conversation to be had. In my opinion that covers off a variety of people. Good numbers of people that already have a saum and want good brass that's been hard to get, guys that want the most out a short action in a modern flavour, and guys that want an option which also has factory ammo available. Choice is yours and for your own reasons.

Basically if your goal in long range hunting is to kill game at long ranges every cartridge made by 1970 will do anything you need to do hunting wise. So if you are into all these new cartridges the last 20 years or so one of four things is true. You get bored easy with things that are practical and time proven! You have more money than brains! You need to be trendy because your life has little meaning otherwise! Last maybe you lack problem solving skills and the ability to think independently! Now this only applies to hunting if you shoot competitively that is a different ball of wax.

Lastly I thought this was about "
What makes the 6.5 PRC special? " Who cares about modern cartridges that are already dying off that never really had much of a following. This is hunting not F-Class or BR.
Describes me perfectly thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts