What is the best tasting deer species

If you could properly age your deer say 30days or until you can see a white mold starting to grow it's ready to cut and wrap. An old Italian sold me on this technique, even sagie deer becomes edible. Most of us don't have a cold locker to do so. Now I just shoot elk. When the relatives come over from Ireland I feed them elk and they say it's the best grass feed beef they have ever eaten.

We hunt a lot in South Texas and make it a point to shoot AXIS. We have shot everything from Kudu to Orix, Blackbuck, Sika to name a few. For us AXIS and Nilgi free range is hands down the best venison. An SCI record book Axis buck normally tastes better than a whitetail doe IMO. On the other hand, my two sons and I went on a hunt about 8 years ago and shot 3 monster White tail bucks (160 BC+). The meat was really unfit for human consumption... Okay maybe I'm exaggerating a little but no comparison to Axis. Just about all the African Plains game is delicious as well.

We hunt a lot in South Texas and make it a point to shoot AXIS. We have shot everything from Kudu to Orix, Blackbuck, Sika to name a few. For us AXIS and Nilgi free range is hands down the best venison. An SCI record book Axis buck normally tastes better than a whitetail doe IMO. On the other hand, my two sons and I went on a hunt about 8 years ago and shot 3 monster White tail bucks (160 BC+). The meat was really unfit for human consumption... Okay maybe I'm exaggerating a little but no comparison to Axis. Just about all the African Plains game is delicious as well.
In rock springs when they said we could shoot the axis deer I would throw rocks at whitetail coming to the feeder! Lol axis meat is hard to beat!

Barren ground Caribou is hands down the best I have ever had. It was pre-rut, they were just coming out of the velvet when we were up there. The only thing I didn't like about it was a bear claimed it before we flew out.

I will hopefully get to compare it to Elk later this year and moose a few more years down the road.

Hank Shaw himself once explained how axis deer was the "crack" of the venison world, then he served some to me.

Yeah, I'll take axis for the win.
But a blacktail from the coastal rain forest area of Washington isn't a bad second.

To the OP, I've never had a "gamey" mule deer, but we also don't hunt muleys in desert/sage country. Diet will always have an affect on meat. Ask anyone who hunts bears in Alaska when the salmon are running!

I keep hearing about Axis deer. Are all of these from exotic reservations or has there been a wild population gotten a hold in Texas?