The toughest species of deer

Trick question...Kinda...Any aminal will GO DOWN if double lunged!!! Period!! Will he run a little???Maybe...But as far as toughest species to hunt well again it depends...The Mulies as tough to hunt as the terrain can be killer...I mean those mountains in the West sure are harder to climb day in & day out,,,than most Whitetail Country....BUT to kill a "wall hanger/trophy" the Mulies are MUCH easier than a Whitetail!!!! I"ve hunted Wyoming Many times and killed some great bucks and passed up many great bucks hoping for that TRUE MONSTER..Than you turn to the Whitetail....It is a hard deer to hunt and be successful at killing "wall hanger/trophies"....I,ve been lucky or more to the point delingent at hunting these BIG Whitetails....No I,ve not killed a B &C Record Book Whitetail....because South Carolina does not produce many,,,BUT I have killed several that get as good as they come for SC....And for those who know I DO NOT LIVE IN THE LOW COUNTRY OF SC WHERE THEY SHOOT'EM OVER A CORN PILE...I have hunted there however and will say that it is still hard to kill a big buck over a corn pile,,,BUT much easier than when not over bait....

The White tail we have Verginian white tail ( please excuse the spelling) in 2 places in New Zealand one place is the Rees Valley near Queens town the other is Stewart Island
The rees valley is an open scruby place and Stewart Island is TIGHT QUARTERS bush fern up to chest hight and open beach and sand dune
I have hunted Stewart Island many times and have talked to many hunters coming and going to the hunting areas who have hit them with 308 ' 30-06 and bigger and the animal has got away

I have tracked wounded deer (Whitetails) with dogs for more than 20 years now. I've been on hundreds of tracking jobs and made some pretty good money,,,,DUE to hunters poor ability to shot a deer!!! I've recovered deer as far away as a mile,,,BUT I can assure you that I've never tracked a deer HIT in BOTH lungs or the heart for more than a couple hundred yards!!!!PERIOD!!!! Now those shots above the lungs, but below the spine,,,,neck shots, liver shots,,,,gut shots!!!!They can go, go, and go,,,,amazing how they can go....,but if HANDLED correctly most can be recovered.....Having said that some will survive!!!! I remember in the mid 1990's I tracked a big buck for a guy who shot it with a bow....I tracked it for close to a mile,,,good blood trail the whole time...finally I told the guy that we were not going to find his buck, that it may die,,,but not today,,,,,3 weeks later on opening day of rifle season he called me,,,,he had just killed his buck a huge 9 pt,,,,his arrow had gone thur & thur the neck....It would have survived as the wound was healing up nicely.....SO SHOT PLACEMENT IS KING!!! RIGHT BEHIND THE SHOULDER!!!! Take out the lungs &/or heart and you WILL get your trophy!!!

i posted earlier that i thaugh whitetail were harder to kill than mule deer.
the last post was 100% accurate; with out proper shot placement, they're all hard to kill.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.