What cartridge will be a 1,000 yard elk/deer rifle in a 20" barrel?

@HandgunHTR How long ago did you place the order for your barrel? I wonder if I can piggy-back off of your rental, have PBB chamber a barrel while they have the reamer, with splitting payment for the rental with you. Not sure if that is something that is acceptable or not. Probably would have to have that ok'ed by yourself, PBB, and Rich. Worst case scenario, I will just pay the rental when it is time to chamber the barrel.

I am a bit too new to send PMs, so I will respond here. I ordered 5 days ago, so I am pretty sure if you called them, they could probably make it work. I do know that Rich would like to get the cost of another rental each time you chamber a barrel with a reamer ($70), but you wouldn't have to pay the extra for their time to coordinate the rental as I have already covered that. Additionally, PBB may decide to go ahead and purchase the reamer and gauge as half the cost would be covered between the two of us.

338 patriot/ 338x300win sounds about right to me. I was seriously looking at it when I built my 7stw, but I still had a metric crap-ton of 7stw brass. I built another 7rum because I have a lot of that brass too. One of these days I'll fail a barrel and actually build one.
Lots of folks swear by using 8mm to form STW, so converting it back to .338 makes sense I guess. The 338 Edge is well established and still very much in use among long distance shooters. However most folks don't realize you can use the old 378 Wby Wildcat dimensions to form 338 Lapua Brass as it's only slightly shorter in oal. It looks like this is a 338 Mega thread so I'll bow out. Rich usually has everything in stock.

The good news, is the mono bullets are getting to have more options, and they are starting to get better at low velocity impacts. This, in conjunction with figuring out better bc's, thus giving higher impact velocities, will make them more all around functional. I will soon be testing out a mono that is predicted to give nearly 2200 fps and almost 2000 ft-lbs of impact energy at 1000 yards, from my 20" 30 nosler. New technology may be slowly changing the game...but that's for another write up!
Ya, we'll see, there are a lot of current designs some think are now new that really aren't. If they don't hit the accuracy and precision their dead in the water then they have to have the right copper for terminal performance and from all of them I've shot only one company has the right copper, I've shot all but one on the market and I don't see me shooting them any time soon cause I'd rather quit hunting!!

I am a bit too new to send PMs, so I will respond here. I ordered 5 days ago, so I am pretty sure if you called them, they could probably make it work. I do know that Rich would like to get the cost of another rental each time you chamber a barrel with a reamer ($70), but you wouldn't have to pay the extra for their time to coordinate the rental as I have already covered that. Additionally, PBB may decide to go ahead and purchase the reamer and gauge as half the cost would be covered between the two of us.
Handgun,

What is the cost for the reamer? I may try to convince Bryce at PBB to buy the reamer, if we both added the cost to our barrels, if that is something you would be okay with. If not you'd rather rent the reamer and have already scheduled that, I totally understand. I might pony up whatever needs to get them the reamer. PBB has done great for me over the past few years.

Hi MD, Thank you for that tech information, VERY helpful if I intend to modify my 20 inch 30-06.!! Due to a Mannlicher style stock, I'm not a candidate for a fat bastard. I appreciate the response.

Attachments

• IMG_3733INTER ARMS MARK X  30-06  Leupold scope.jpg
    IMG_3733INTER ARMS MARK X 30-06 Leupold scope.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
Handgun,

What is the cost for the reamer? I may try to convince Bryce at PBB to buy the reamer, if we both added the cost to our barrels, if that is something you would be okay with. If not you'd rather rent the reamer and have already scheduled that, I totally understand. I might pony up whatever needs to get them the reamer. PBB has done great for me over the past few years.

Based on Rich's website, the cost for the reamer and go-gauge is $350. Not sure if he gives them a discount because they are a barrel maker.

All I have done is give PBB an extra $100 on top of the cost of my barrel to cover the reamer rental and time to coordinate getting it when they need it. I am sure if you offered them the extra $70 that Rich charges to chamber another barrel with his reamer, they would probably do it.

Based on Rich's website, the cost for the reamer and go-gauge is $350. Not sure if he gives them a discount because they are a barrel maker.

All I have done is give PBB an extra $100 on top of the cost of my barrel to cover the reamer rental and time to coordinate getting it when they need it. I am sure if you offered them the extra $70 that Rich charges to chamber another barrel with his reamer, they would probably do it.
Understood. I called Bryce today to talk through some options. They don't sell many Sherman's so he was hesitant to buy the reamer unless I ponied up the $250. he is going to talk to his boss though. I may be looking to piggy-back off of your rental or just find another smith who can ream out a barrel for me.