help me pick a cartridge for my next elk rifle

I have a tac 300 action with magnum bolt face I picked up a while back and I'm just now thinking I should get something put together. I own a 300wm and 338 lm now so I was thinking of staying in the 6.5-7mm range. Realistically will be keeping my shots under 650 yards. I just don't know what cartridge to go with. 264 mag , 26 nosler, 28 nosler, 7mm mag, 7mm stw have all crossed my mind . any suggestions would be great.

Of the ones you mentioned I would go with the .264. With the new RL33 you can easily top 3,200 feet per second. I know one guy who is getting 3,300 with a few loadings in each case. This will offer considerably less recoil than you are used to.

I know you already have a 338 but if I were you I'd be a light .340wby or 338lap. I'd build it in the 6-7lb range. That's what I did anyways

I know you already have a 338 but if I were you I'd be a light .340wby or 338lap. I'd build it in the 6-7lb range. That's what I did anyways

i dont want to feed another big boy right now. 6.5 bullets are almost half the price.

I understand that. No argument there. I have always liked the 6.5Saum. I don't have one but it just seems like a very effective cartridge. I do have a 28 Nosler and wow do I like it. I would throw that one in too.

Just finished a "why not", 300H&H, 180 gr. @ 2800 fps, and a better recoil "push"
and I didn't have one !

I understand that. No argument there. I have always liked the 6.5Saum. I don't have one but it just seems like a very effective cartridge. I do have a 28 Nosler and wow do I like it. I would throw that one in too.

im very curious about the 28 nosler. it seems like a great round

I love the 28 and mine is a factory rifle. If you're building you have lots of options. The factory COAL limits the powder amount you can use. But if your building you can lengthen coal. Either way it's a spectacular round

I love the 28 and mine is a factory rifle. If you're building you have lots of options. The factory COAL limits the powder amount you can use. But if your building you can lengthen coal. Either way it's a spectacular round

what bullets do you run?

+1 for the 28 Nosler!

Those 195's will do work out of a 28 Nosler! My 2nd choice would be another.300 WM, but you already have one. If you didn't, that would be my first.

Good luck! I finally know what it's like for women wedding planning, going back and forth on colors and patterns and blah blah blah! When I did my first custom, I second guessed everything and would lose sleep over ****! But in a good way :D

i was thinking 1-8 min

Barrel I just got for my 6.5 Sherman Shortmag build is 1:8. Planning to shoot 143 gr ELD-X

On your action, I'd be looking at a 26 Nos or 28 Nos.
I'm sure you can kill an elk with a 22 LR under the right circumstances, but I'd prefer 7mm on up. So 28 Nos or 7mm STW.

Or since you have a 300 and a 338, you could hit right between the two with an 8mm Rem Mag.:D
Not what you're going for, I know.

I've only shot factory ammo thus far so the 160gr Accubond and 175gr LRAB. Both shot well but the 160s shot **** fine-.43 moa. I will be reloading as well just for fun. I'll be trying the Hammer bullets 155 for sure and 177 hopefully. The 180 Berger and the Hornady Xld X if I can find them.

I don't think I would waste that action on a small round... I would think of something similar to sp6x6 's .338 Norma would be the ultimate.
However, with the parameters of something a bit smaller and cheaper to feed I would say a .284 Win or a 7 WSM or even a .270 WSM those three are right on the money ballistic wise for me for elk to the 650-700 yard mark and cheap to shoot.
I feel that the "bigger" 6.5's are good for elk, but at the expense of needing a longer barrel and cooking those barrels. Hence the .284 diameter. That said I do have a hankering for a 6.5 myself...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.