Help me pick my 300 WM rifle

encoreguy

I have decided that I am going to buy a 300 WM rifle for an elk hunt this fall. I have narrowed it down to the following 4 guns:

Savage 110 HS Precision
Savage 111 Long range hunter
Remington 5R
Remington PSS

In the end I want the most accurate gun with the least amount of required tweaking to get it to shoot to it's potential. I will probably use the gun after the hunt for some long range steel shooting also. I don't mind lugging around extra weight if in the end I have a little more inherent accuracy. I will be mounting a Vortex 4-16 PST FFP scope in Burris signature rings on a Ken Ferrel base on this gun. I would like to shoot 190 to 200+ grain bullets from the gun. Let me know your thoughts.

IIWM Savage 11/111 LRH or 16/116 FCSS or 16/116 BH

Remington takes work to achieve potential.

Well actually, if it were really me it would be a Mark V in 300 Wby

I am a Remington guy, so I personally would go that route, but there is nothing wrong with any of your choices here. One thing to think about though is that due to the trigger recall, trying to find a new Remington in stock can be difficult right now. As has been mentioned, I would also check out the new Rem Long Range.

The whole Remington recall has kind of made me question that choice. The bad part is I would probably plan to replace that trigger or at least pay someone to rework it anyway. At least with the accutrigger I would be good to go with no additional expense? If I were to buy a used Remington I would also either replace the trigger or have to send it to Remington to have it fixed then reworked.

Ill just throw one other out there, As I know the Remington recall is screwing up inventory in some places.

Tikka T3 Varmint in 300 win. Injection molded stock, but a Very nice rifle. There is also the Model 70 coyote light.

Of what you mentioned I would go 5R.

I have been the browning, tikka, remington and savage route for factory rifles. Bottom line is the Savage is the best one thus far.

My particular rifle is the Savage LRH in 300 WSM. It will shoot 3/4 to 1 inch groups at 300 yards using Berger bullets.

With that said, it will be going in the classifieds soon to pay for a new custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.