Help me pick a new rifle

The Ridgeline is a definite no. The Mesa looks very interesting. The fact that I could get one of those for a mere $200 more than my store was selling the FTW for is nothing short of jaw-dropping. Carbon fiber stock, Triggertech trigger, and an accuracy guarantee. Looks like a frontrunner at this point. I wonder if a guy can put a longer mag box in it. One member on another forum noted the fairly short mag length.
What's wrong with the Ridgeline? I know they're a bit pricey, but the quality of what I've heard and seen is top-notch.

Remington model 7 in the .308 family? Those are pretty nice too.
I would go with the 700 over the 7, for the .308 Win family of cartridges. I had a custom Model 7 in .308 Win, and while it was a phenomenal rifle, the M7 action is actually about .850" shorter than the 700. So, loading long, and also unloading loaded rounds can be a bit of a pain in the ***. Also, stocks can be a bit harder to find, compared to the 700.

I have a model 70 featherweight in 7mm-08 for this role. It's a very nice rifle to carry and probably one of my favorites. I draw the line at 400yds with it though as it's not a dial the scope type of rifle to me. I'm still working on loads but I have it shooting 3/4-1moa which is OK, but I think it will do a bit better.

What's wrong with the Ridgeline? I know they're a bit pricey, but the quality of what I've heard and seen is top-notch.

Double what I can budget is more than a bit pricey. They look like great rifles all around, but even the Mesa would be a stretch.

I have a model 70 featherweight in 7mm-08 for this role. It's a very nice rifle to carry and probably one of my favorites. I draw the line at 400yds with it though as it's not a dial the scope type of rifle to me. I'm still working on loads but I have it shooting 3/4-1moa which is OK, but I think it will do a bit better.

I've got this exact rifle. One of the last South Carolina built rifles from what I understand. Put three Sierra soft points under a dime (once), but generally a 1 to 1.5 minute shooter with the Barnes I wanted to use for deer.

I've thought about dressing it up for this role but it's just too pretty to mess with. With any luck it will be one of the kids' first rifle in another 6-8 years.

The A7 looks nice. Not sure how I feel about the DBM rifles in general. I like internal mags and drop floorplates. Silly as it sounds that's important for me, they hold a an extra round or two and are much easier to top off. When doing drives, it's easy to top off the mag quickly when you sense a lull in the action. Not to mention not having to lose the magazine or buy expensive spares.
I think I'm narrowed down to the MRC X2, the M70 Extreme Weather, and maybe the CA Mesa

The A7 looks nice. Not sure how I feel about the DBM rifles in general. I like internal mags and drop floorplates. Silly as it sounds that's important for me, they hold a an extra round or two and are much easier to top off. When doing drives, it's easy to top off the mag quickly when you sense a lull in the action. Not to mention not having to lose the magazine or buy expensive spares.
I think I'm narrowed down to the MRC X2, the M70 Extreme Weather, and maybe the CA Mesa

I'm not a fan of dbm rifles either, but I don't regret buying it. You can top load it, but it's easier to drop it and load

I recently bought a new Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a 20" barrel. I put it in a Bell and Carlson stock and a Timney trigger. I love it. It shoots 120 grain NBT and 140 grain Accubonds and Partitions less than an 1" at 100yards. All up and ready to hunt it weighs 7.5 pounds.

Anyone have an honest opinion of the Howa/Vanguard? The Howa is available with an HS Precision stock, the Weatherby something similar in the RC. I feel like I shouldn't overlook them, though I've heard they're a bit on the portly side. The MRC is no lightweight either from the looks of it.

Anyone have an honest opinion of the Howa/Vanguard? The Howa is available with an HS Precision stock, the Weatherby something similar in the RC. I feel like I shouldn't overlook them, though I've heard they're a bit on the portly side. The MRC is no lightweight either from the looks of it.
I've heard good things about the Vanguards, but have not had enough personal experience shooting them, to give a definitive "yes". I can tell you this from personal experience, I'd rather spend my money on a Vanguard RC over a Wby Mark-V any day of the week.

7mm-08 or 6.5. I've got dies for both.
Looking to stay under $1200. I understand the Christensen and Montana are a tick over this. I'd be ok with spending less, but I don't want junk.

Wow that's, umm, different. I think I'm pretty open minded but dang....

OTOH, found the Christensen Mesa for ~$1200. Darn thing is sexy, I'll give it that; with a twist that'll handle any bullet you'd likely want to use in an '08
Just because it's different, doesn't mean it's not good. I wouldn't recommend something that was bad. Also, it has a 60º bolt-throw, which is like the Brownings and Weatherby MK-V rifles. And a true 1:9 twist CHF barrel. I used to sight-in tons of these for customers, and never saw one shoot over MOA with factory ammo. Most shot 1/2-3/4 MOA with high quality factory ammo, like Hornady Match & Federal GMM.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.