Help me pick a new rifle

The Savage is highly regarded for its accuracy right out of the box. The model 111 Long Range Hunter is at home at the range or in the field. For approximately 900.00 you're ready to go. It's not the prettiest but it will shoot with the best of them and I'm certain that it comes in the 6.5 Creedmore.

It is done with. Nothing wrong with Savage, at least none that I owned.

To be fair with your earlier point, yes I was aware Winchester went through a rough patch just as Savage did as well. That being said, Remington's quality being in the toilet save for a few variants is hardly disinformation.
I'll pose an honest question:
Are the 5R barrels hammer forged like the most every other barrel on (insert your brand)? Because of they are and they are indeed much superior to standard rifling (which many claim is the case, I have no experience with them) why not replace standard rifling in every model they make? It would almost surely benefit them to do so wouldn't it? How come somebody's got to buy the $1200 Remington before they don't have to worry if they will have to polish machine marks out of the chamber so brass will extract or send it back because it's bulging brass or just plain won't shoot worth a darn? I won't claim no one else has issues, but Remington seems to have a lot. To my way of thinking, all the bad press can do nothing but serve them a reminder to get with the program. I hope it does. Maybe five years from now I'll give them another try, but there's got to be an awful lot of happy guinea pigs before me to make it happen.
I've suggested many times to Remington that if they swapped all their rifles over to their 5R barrels, their sales would improve 10-fold. As for tool marks, well, take you a borescope and look down a Savage or your new Winchester... Bet you'll be shocked to see how many tool marks are in those barrels as well. Just because something shoots doesn't mean the barrel is that high quality, it just means it was put together right, and all the pieces lined up better than another one on the assembly line. With the Remington 5R and Sendero rifles, you get a $400+ HS Precision stock, as well as a stainless action, jeweled bolt, and 416R stainless barrel. Those pieces (upgrades) themselves lend to the higher price tag over a cheap wally world ADL. It's just like anything, you have to pay to get something of higher quality. You don't buy a Kia and expect to get Corvette quality, do you? Money is incentive. Say you own a business...Nobody is going to give you the very best they got for $5.00 an hour. You pay them $10 an hour, they show alot more effort and worth ethic. Same with guns. Every now and then you get a cheap Remington to shoot good, same goes for the other brands, but for the most part, even with other brands, it's rare you get a true high-quality barrel. Same goes with business. Occasionally you get that employee that is just happy to be employed and work their *** of no matter how much they get paid...But that's rare these days.

As for the bad press... Just like the mainstream media that nobody should pay attention to. Don't they always report the bad crap that happens, instead of the good things? Nobody wants to hear about a fireman saving someone or a stray dog on the brink of death being rescued and rehabilitated, but they are waiting at the edge of their seats and biting their fingernails to hear about something completely fake about Trump, even if it's proven to be fake news.

Speaking of fun; I never did post pictures.
Here folks, is the subject of much discussion and the final word. After the bouncing back and forth on my part, I ultimately went with my first gut feeling.

KIMG0138.JPG

KIMG0139.JPG

KIMG0140.JPG

KIMG0141.JPG

Growing up, I never expected to be a big Winchester fan but they're really growing on me.

That's a beautiful m70. Just passed on a New Haven-made stainless one in 270wsm... Kicking myself a little. Only gun in a 90-degree bolt lift that tempts me.

If your ever in the market for another light weight rifle Christensen really is a great one, you can forget your even carrying a rifle, but if you don't want to spend that much savage is nice due to how easy is is to change barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.