Help me pick a new rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by therifleman556, Jan 28, 2018.

1. therifleman556

therifleman556 Well-Known Member

Seems like a simple enough task for most people but I'm torn on this one. I'm looking to add another 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 to the lineup that will serve double duty as my walkabout deer rifle and long range (600 tops for me) toy. It seems counterintuitive to have a long range rig that's also light enough to carry and point well, but I want the rifle I shoot the most during the summer target season (informal) to be the one I reach for first in the fall. It should have a quality stock on it and need perhaps no more than a trigger upgrade.
    I'll be putting a scope in the 2.5-16 or 3-15 range on it. Shots in my area can be as close as 15 yards in the woods to several hundred across the road in the fields.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Winchester 70 Extreme Weather, I like the fluted sporter profile and the Bell and Carlson stock. I love my Featherweight, so the Extreme Weather would fit nicely. This has been my first choice for awhile, but it's at the very top edge of my budget.

The Weatherby Vanguard Range Certified looks to be of similar quality, and I see Howa has the 1500 catalogued with an HS Precision stock now.

I also considered the Remington 700 Mountain rifle but I was concerned the barrel profile may be too light for good consistency.

Part of the problem is no one except Howa and Bergara list barrel profiles in their information.

I handled a Ruger FTW in the store, but the stock felt unimpressive and the action and finish seemed a bit lacking for a rifle wearing that kind of price tag

Any input is appreciated, along with any contenders I mean have overlooked.

2. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

You might take a look at the Tikka models....rich

3. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Savage. Best luck for having an out of the box accurate shooter in my opinion.

Tidus56 likes this.
  4. 257Tony

257Tony Well-Known Member

X-bolt Hells canyon speed. Accurate, light, factory cerakote. 6lbs 5oz, factory removable brake and thread protector. Needs a $15 trigger spring and your good to go.

5. scottyboy

scottyboy Well-Known Member

Seekins havak impresses me more and more every time I pull the trigger

6. therifleman556

I was surprised to see this cheaper than the model 70. One concern I have with dbm rifles is mag length. You didn't say what caliber yours is. Are you able to seat close to the lands while staying within the rifles useable o.a.l limits?

7. 257Tony

257Tony Well-Known Member

Mine is 6.5 Creed. I shoot 123 Amax ".020 off the lands, fits in the mag no problem. Haven't tested a 140 yet but I think it would be fine also.

8. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 7mm-08.

9. therifleman556

The Ridgeline is a definite no. The Mesa looks very interesting. The fact that I could get one of those for a mere $200 more than my store was selling the FTW for is nothing short of jaw-dropping. Carbon fiber stock, Triggertech trigger, and an accuracy guarantee. Looks like a frontrunner at this point. I wonder if a guy can put a longer mag box in it. One member on another forum noted the fairly short mag length.

10. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

You shouldn’t have magazine length trouble with the 6.5 creedmoor

11. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

12. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member

Bergara HMR. It’s a really nice rifle. Remington sendero contour barrel.

13. therifleman556

Had one in 308, too heavy and the accuracy (for what it was/supposed to be) didn't impress me at all. I think it could have been better except I couldn't get anywhere near the lands and retain magazine usability. When I mentioned that fact to Bergara I got the canned "our rifle is designed to shoot saami spec factory ammunition".
    I'm looking for something that's under 7 1/2 lbs before scope. I've got a Savage 10 Predator which shoots great, but humping around 10 lbs of rifle while you're dressed for sitting in 20 degree weather is not the least bit fun.
    The Montana Rifle Company X2 looks like a nice piece of I could lay my hands on one to see in person.

14. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member

Remington model 7 in the .308 family? Those are pretty nice too.