Help me pick??

jawshunting

Hello, new member here. First post. I have been lurking a while. I am interested in purchasing a new production rifle. The last few rifles I own have been custom built by a local gunsmith based on Remington 700 actions. I am interested in the 28 Nosler caliber and talked with my smith about building another. However, things have changed with Remington going bankrupt. It is hard and expensive to find an action and with barrel, stock, etc. prices up I have decided to buy a production rifle. I want to stay in the 900-1200 price range. I have narrowed it down to a few: Browning Hells Canyon (non McMillian stock version), Bergera Wilderness Hunter, Christensen Mesa. Out of these three rifles, who has experience with them and your thoughts. Accuracy is the most important aspect to me. Thanks in advance.

There's are huge differences in the word "accuracy" and it's many meanings, "HUNTING" accuracy IS NOT and NEEDS NOT be "COMPETITION BENCHREST" accuracy....the size of a basketball vs a dime..never confuse the two... with all of the uncertainty in the firearms/reloading industry these days "choices" are more critical that ever before...from cartridges to firearms...myself I'm a FIRM BELIEVER IN THE "TEST OF TIME" vs "FLY BY NIGHT" products...

A colleague of mine has a Hell's Canyon in 300WM, it is very accurate for a factory rifle, this is the ONLY one I have shot, so it is a sample of ONE.
The other rifles you mention I have not shot, but there are a few Christensen rifles in my club and I am not impressed, seems hit or miss on accuracy.
Have never seen a Bergera up close, sorry. Haven't heard great things about Bergera either.

Cheers.

Since you have mentioned that you have experience with customs, than you know going the production route is always a gamble. With that said, the only true production brand I would even consider is a Savage, but not sure if they offer the cartridge that your interested in. Good luck on your choice.

Not a 28 Nosler, but I have a Bergara Ridge (cheapest one) in 300 PRC shooting give or take - in the 3/4 MOA range. It was not under an inch with Hornady Precision Hunter or Match. For less than $800, not a bad choice.
As for most accurate, really right out-of-the box - Tikka, by a mile for me.