help me pick a cartridge for my next elk rifle

I don't think I would waste that action on a small round... I would think of something similar to sp6x6 's .338 Norma would be the ultimate.
However, with the parameters of something a bit smaller and cheaper to feed I would say a .284 Win or a 7 WSM or even a .270 WSM those three are right on the money ballistic wise for me for elk to the 650-700 yard mark and cheap to shoot.
I feel that the "bigger" 6.5's are good for elk, but at the expense of needing a longer barrel and cooking those barrels. Hence the .284 diameter. That said I do have a hankering for a 6.5 myself...

i am weighing the drawbacks to the screaming 6.5s . i may end up with the 28. it seems like its a perfect balance of elk medicine

If any of you had to choose , 7mm stw or 28 nosler, which one? Brass seems to have about the same availability . Which has a longer barrel and throat life , or are they just about the same thing ?

6.5 RSAUM 3000 round barrel life easy when run at 60K, which is 3100 fps with a 140.

7mm RSAUM should be about the same because it has the same long neck. IMO this long neck is what makes it better than the 7mm WSM.

If it is a designated hunting rifle I would not think you would wear out the barrel. 25 shots per year would make a hot rod last 40 years easy.

I can't argue with any of the logic in this thread, lots of great choices. My son has killed 5 elk with his 6.5-06, farthest at 550 yards with a 110g bullet. Most of them with a 130g bullet. The only thing I will say is the elk tend to look like they have not been hit with the smaller caliber bullets. They still die just fine. Live with the rule that if it is not down shoot it again.

The mono metal market is only going to get bigger so I recommend that you twist up on your barrel. If it seems fast go just a little faster.

Steve

I don't see how you couldn't get 1000 rounds out of a 28 nosler or a STW for "hunting" accuracy. Minute of elk, now you wont get bench rest accuracy from throat erosion as rounds go up. but for hunting it wont be an issue.

as for the fast 6.5's, people have reported good barrel life from the 6.5 SAUM.

Barrel life / throat erosion is about two things, pressure and temperature. Keep loads at normal pressures and barrels will last a long time. Run them hard to get an extra 100-150 fps and you will cook the throat in a short amount of time. My factory 7STW went 1400+ ( I don't remember exact round count off the top of my head ) and I ran some loads very warm when I didn't know better. It has now started life over as a 28 Nosler and I hope to get 1800 with the Bartlein barrel.

well im going with a 28 nosler. i think it should be a bit better then a 6.5 variant as long as i do my part. action is boxed up ready to ship today. thanks everyone for your recommendations

Since you already have the big magnums covered, I would stick with the 6.5 chambering, something in the flavor of the 6.5 WSM, or 6.5 SAUM. wicked little rounds, paired with a 140 makes for good big game medicine.

How are the big magnums covered?Big 338's and 375's are the real elk cartridges.. others will do it but then the rubber meets the road in less than perfect circumstances big bullets get you there.

it can be done no doubt.. but if you find yourself in a position where you have killed and seen a lot of elk killed with different calibers it will become very clear what real elk cartridges are.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.