help me pick a cartridge for my next elk rifle

revturbo9967

I have a tac 300 action with magnum bolt face I picked up a while back and I'm just now thinking I should get something put together. I own a 300wm and 338 lm now so I was thinking of staying in the 6.5-7mm range. Realistically will be keeping my shots under 650 yards. I just don't know what cartridge to go with. 264 mag , 26 nosler, 28 nosler, 7mm mag, 7mm stw have all crossed my mind . any suggestions would be great.

Since you already have the big magnums covered, I would stick with the 6.5 chambering, something in the flavor of the 6.5 WSM, or 6.5 SAUM. wicked little rounds, paired with a 140 makes for good big game medicine.

Since you already have the big magnums covered, I would stick with the 6.5 chambering, something in the flavor of the 6.5 WSM, or 6.5 SAUM. wicked little rounds, paired with a 140 makes for good big game medicine.
i was curious if i was going to get the "you need at least a 30 cal to take down an elk" response. im glad im not crazy for thinking a 6.5 is plenty round

i know nothing if the 6.5 SAUM

Such a good dilemma to contend with. What I did was have two rifles built. First was a 28 Nosler . I am shooting 180 Berger VLD and have taken 2 Elk with it and it has performed great. I am in the process of building a 6.5 SAUM I know that it will performer as a great carry rifle and do fine up to 700 yards. I do not think you could go wrong with either. Hope you have as much fun as I have during my last two builds.

.....i was curious if i was going to get the "you need at least a 30 cal to take down an elk" response........ im glad im not crazy for thinking a 6.5 is plenty round i know nothing if the 6.5 SAUM

You aren't crazy, but I'm curious. You have 2 of the best elk cartridges available, begs the question, why a third?

You aren't crazy, but I'm curious. You have 2 of the best elk cartridges available, begs the question, why a third?

the 338 is very heavy, over 14 lbs, not what i really want to lug around. i know many do it without a problem, its just not what i want to do with it. my 300 wm is an off the shelf weatherby vanguard. its fairly accurate with 180 gr partitions but nothing i would brag about. its more of my thick woods rifle for large game. i dont care if it gets beat up and knocked around and it certainly looks like it . i have a 300 weatherby that was given to me by my grandfather which needs a little work and tuning. id rather not screw around with that rifle for any other purpose then to shoot at the range or go deer hunting locally.

to answer your question, i dont need another rifle for big game at all. i just want something a little smaller. gun)

............i dont need another rifle for big game at all. i just want something a little smaller. gun)

Good answer opens, the parameters a little bit.

i think the 6.5's are where you want to be, and I'd keep to the 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 powder capacity range.

The bullet is the main thing. Recommended twist rates are going up, as the bullets get longer, and heavier. Don't be afraid to go with a faster twist than what we might have used a while back. Hammer has a 137 grain 6.5 they're recommending a 1-7" for, and I've heard Berger is raising their recommendations as well.

i was curious if i was going to get the "you need at least a 30 cal to take down an elk" response. im glad im not crazy for thinking a 6.5 is plenty round

i know nothing if the 6.5 SAUM

I've killed elk with my 260. Not long range, but it got the job done

Good answer opens, the parameters a little bit.

i think the 6.5's are where you want to be, and I'd keep to the 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 powder capacity range.

The bullet is the main thing. Recommended twist rates are going up, as the bullets get longer, and heavier. Don't be afraid to go with a faster twist than what we might have used a while back. Hammer has a 137 grain 6.5 they're recommending a 1-7" for, and I've heard Berger is raising their recommendations as well.

i was thinking 1-8 min

Since you have a mag bolt face, I would think 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 Sherman, 26 Nosler, or the option that I would go with in your situation because of brass availability, price, and the fact that its been around for quite a while would be the .264 win mag. Should be able to get 3100+ with a 140, or use a reduced load that will have less recoil and longer barrel life and still going 2950 or better, which is 6.5x284 performance, a proven killing round.

My .260 AI is going 2960 with a 140 Berger hybrid, and I plan on hunting elk with it this year, and I don't have any concern that it will do exactly what I need it to do.

BTW, I'm using a 1 in 8 twist, and it does great with the 140's out to 1000 yds, as far as I have shot it so far. I would think of using the 160 matrix if I had a bigger cartridge, but they recommend a 1 in 8, even for the 160. But I don't think a 1 in 7.5 would hurt.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.