help me pick a cartridge for my next elk rifle

I guess nobody has taken elk with .270s and 30-60s without good results

I would venture to say that people have killed moose and elk (and just about any other type of game on earth) with everything from .22LR up to .50 BMG over the years. Those who say you HAVE to have something, is just a matter of opinion. Shoot what you want, and what you feel comfortable with, but know the rifle/caliber's limitations. For example, I wouldn't be shooting a deer with a .22-250 at 500 yards... Not that it won't do it, but because there's better options out there. There's been quite a few folks on here who have shot elk with 6.5's and 7mm's with great success. There are still lots of people in Europe that hunt them with a 6.5x55 with great success. Some folks swear by .30 caliber and up. And some say you start at .338 and go up from there. It's all in your experience and opinion, your max shooting distance, and how comfortable you are with that caliber. If you're not comfortable with shooting a huge-bore caliber, then no matter what the distance is, you're liable to make a poorer shot, than you would if you were stretching the limits of a rifle and caliber that you're VERY familiar and comfortable with.

I've never shot an elk. So, this is just my opinion based on observations of many posts on here over the years.

I have shot quite a few elk and been in on quite a few more. With rifles starting at 6.5 and up to 338's. This year will be using a 375. I can say without a doubt the bigger the displacement of the bullet the harder they hit. The more the elk seems to notice. If that makes sense. While I am giving my opinion, of the various calibers I have shot and seen shot. 6.5, 7mm, 308, 338 the 7mms are my least favorite. They are probably the most popular but there is something about them that I don't like. The 6.5 is a magical little guy. Then the bigger they get the faster they kill. I have said it many times, there is no replacement for displacement. This becomes extremely true with a marginal hit. Big fully mature bulls have a determination that sometimes makes them very difficult to put down and keep down. Elk are much tougher than moose.

So there is not a wrong answer to caliber for elk, but bigger is better.

Steve

thanks for everyone reply's. i went with a nosler 28. action is at my builder now and should be back to me next month. going to give the berger 195s a try in it. thanks for everyone suggestions.

thanks for everyone reply's. i went with a nosler 28. action is at my builder now and should be back to me next month. going to give the berger 195s a try in it. thanks for everyone suggestions.

That will be an awesome rig. Congrats on the new custom!! You better post picks when its all done :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.