Custom Rifle - 500 yards max - what cartridge

This is a very good thread...interesting. Seems to be stuck on the 6.5 Sweede lately so I hope you do not mind I very much need help. I truly cannot understand why so many folks on here have recommended the .308 over the 7mm-08. Someone please help me understand, outside of availability, performance wise why would anyone ever choose a .308 over a 7mm-08? I am not trying to start an agrument...I sincerely just want to understand.

17 fireball, I totally agree. the 7-08 has better terminal ballistics, less recoil, and is just as accurate if not more so as any 308. I guess it's just not pushed by gun makers as the military 308 has been. 260/7-08 just seems to be an all around better choice if short actions are being used at reasonable distances???

I have 2 308s and also a 260 and 6.5-284, I would say a 308 would be a good choice as there is a metric ton of load data for it. Having said that any 6.5 be it Creedmoor, Lapua or 260 rem will get the job done as well. I had a Shilen barrel that I had 8220 rounds through, this is including having it set back I don't know how much you shoot but it will give you something to think about.

No magnum, but low recoil, good trajectory and impact!? Why don't you try the 280 Rem or 280AI, also a good possibility will surely be the old working horse 7 x 57. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.