Custom Rifle Cartridge Choice

Jud96

I was thinking of a fun subject to discuss. Let's say you have a chance to buy a custom hunting rifle that is broken in, has a load developed for it, and has less than 300 shots on it, what cartridge would you want? This rifle will basically be an all around hunting rifle, capable of shots out to 800+ yards. It will not be fancy or built for a specific role. The rifle will weigh less than 10lbs scoped, have a 26" barrel, muzzlebrake, and built with high quality components. If ammo and reloading components weren't an issue, what chambering would you want? Thanks!

7mm Rem Mag. All Around ammunition availability is a concern and certainly the recent shortages would make 7RM, 30/06 and 300 win Mag front runners. There are bigger 7's and 30's but if you are buying a proven shooter all you need to do is put the bullet in the right place. None of the animals will know the difference. My free advice and worth what you paid for it!

6.5 X 284. or .260 don't leave the 6.5mm out of the equation. The 6.5 has been and still is one of the most popular bullets ever made and just see what they have been are are using in Europe. The 6.5X55 probably took more African animals than any other cartridge. the 260 Rem will reachout and touch at 800yds then add the 6.5 X 284 with the correct bullet good to 1K yds. Plus reloading you can go from 85 gr to 153gr + bullets for any small or big animal.

I have that rifle in a 28 Nosler, it will launch a 195gr at 3047fps. I watched a show with it's ballistic twin 7mm STW with a 195gr Berger take an Alaska Grizzly at 300yds, the bear did not run far.
My first (and only) shot yesterday with that load at 805 yards. Held my 1 MOA on left edge of circle for wind; 13.5 E from my 200y zero. I have 2 28Ns and one 7STW; much prefer the 28N.

Attachments

• 040721 805 28N.JPG
    040721 805 28N.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 171
The rifle will weigh less than 10lbs scoped, have a 26" barrel, muzzlebrake, and built with high quality components. If ammo and reloading components weren't an issue, what chambering would you want?
This should do...

I find myself leaning toward a 300 PRC or 30 Nosler. I have a 28 Nosler and it's 👍🏻👍🏻. However I would love more barrel life and the move to 30 caliber should make that happen. I also think a 280 AI would be a nice fit for the OPs question.
I might do that for my next rifle; my smith has a 300 RUM; Brux on order. Told him to do another 300 RUM, but the optionality of bullet seating with either the Nosler or PRC has me wondering...

Bryan Blake built my two 28s; one is on a Stiller action and the other a Borden, both with McM stocks. Bryan makes his own barrels (one took first place in a recent F class national comp). I had him build me the second one to practice with so I don't burn out the hunting rifle, but both are so darn accurate I almost hate to shoot them. I have found an Edge, Lapua, and RUM (shooting 225s) have almost identical wind drift, so I find myself practicing with them quite a bit; yesterday I shot my Savage Lapua as well; shot hit just below that circle but with a 1.5 wind hold. Shot it later that day at 500 in a somewhat stiffer wind (different location) and hit dead nuts on. Takes quite a bit of wind before you have to hold more than 1.5 MOA at 500 with these.

I shoot a 308 at 500 a lot too, but it has so much more wind drift than the above cartridges that it isn't a good substitute for wind practice. But that rifle has a mil reticle, so when I look at mirage to judge wind I think in terms of mils, not MOA, which helps (I think).

Not to overstate the obvious, but the only way to get good at calling wind is to either eat a lot of pea soup or shoot a lot. It is so much easier with a 28N, 300 RUM, or Edge/Lapua than lesser calibers but the price is barrel life. Nothing is free.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.