What cartridge will be a 1,000 yard elk/deer rifle in a 20" barrel?

I didn't post this to get questions about the ethics of shooting elk at 1,000 yards. Wrong forum for that discussion. I have and will continue to shoot at game as far as I deem is okay, I don't need anyone else's opinion on the matter.

My question is a simple one, maybe it was lost in my explanation: does a cartridge exist that fits in a Tikka .540" BF, with a 20" or so barrel that will retain enough velocity to expand at 1,000 yards?

I've run numbers on dozens of cartridges, with the speed loss of going down to a 20" barrel, it seems like I am looking for a cartridge that doesn't exist, without major modifications to the chamber and throat. Am I correct in that assumption?

338 MEGA with 250 Berger loaded to 3.3" coal at 2800 feet will be your huckleberry!
Far less recoil and better barrel life and you wont start a brush fire doing it!
At around 4000" elevation, you have 1875' velocity and 1952 ft/lbs at 1000 yards.

The 6um does exactly what you're looking to do.

Ummmm this one☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Some good comments above and I'm sure you've seen Cody's post on his short 30 Nosler. It's certainly capable and when you factor the reduced drag of elk country being at 8k asl and higher it's even easier.

It's doable with heavy high BC bullets. Just use a balastic calculator to determine when your chosen bullet will fall below the velocity threshold. Most bullet makers claim 1800 fps, I typically use 2k as a extra margin of relability.

I like what's mentioned above about a 338 RUM and I'd throw the 33 Nosler in there as well with a 250 Berger. The 33 will make better use of the short barrel and the Nos IMO is just about an ideal capacity for the heavies.

I'm sure the Short Mags will do it as well but you'll be stretching the limits to have ample (Not Minimal) killing power to 1K. I feel like all too often people think of what will kill an elk not thinking that at 1K you really need maximize your effectiveness for the kill.

IMO there's no such thing as too dead but there is a point of diminishing returns of a bullet / cartridge combo. Again, that's why I'm a fan of the 30 Nosler sized case. I'm currently building a 30-28 and feel a 33-28 would be a great improvement as the 33 is the smallest of the Nos cases.

338 MEGA with 250 Berger loaded to 3.3" coal at 2800 feet will be your huckleberry!
Far less recoil and better barrel life and you wont start a brush fire doing it!
At around 4000" elevation, you have 1875' velocity and 1952 ft/lbs at 1000 yards.
I'm looking to build the same with a Tikka switch barrel. I ran the numbers on the .338 Mega with 250gr Hammers and 1000 looks doable with a 20-21" barrel. I ran it at 7500' and 30 degrees.

My next one to chamber is the 338 Mega simply for an everyday elk gun, timber to cross canyon. Just starting to fire form the 30SM for the 1000+.
The Tikka is a phenomenal action in the WSM class cases, it's going to come down to a few chambering choices and a few bullets, far from not possible though, just need to maximize every component.

Rich, can you PM me a list of smiths that have the 338 Mega reamer? Or point me in a good direction? Can I rent it? I have enjoyed using Preferred Barrel Blank barrels in the past and would like for them to chamber if possible.

Rich, can you PM me a list of smiths that have the 338 Mega reamer? Or point me in a good direction? Can I rent it? I have enjoyed using Preferred Barrel Blank barrels in the past and would like for them to chamber if possible.
Axisworks in Tempe, AZ. They build an amazing rifle. Or 12. Soon to be 13...

Axisworks in Tempe, AZ. They build an amazing rifle. Or 12. Soon to be 13...
Do you happen to know if they will do a tikka prefit? I'd rather not send them my action to be installed if I can help it. If you don't know, I'll give Them a call.

My hunting elevations are anywhere from 8,000-10,000 feet.

I've thought about doing what @codyadams did, a short 30 nosler, but in all reality that would just replace the 30 nosler I have.. seems redundant and I'd rather add a new cartridge than not.

My tikka action is going to limit me big time I think. The most coal I can get is 3.6" with the aics bottom metal.

How is the 338 RUM at a saami spec chamber? With my .540 bolt face what other 338s should I be looking at?
338 WSM I have one in a 21"

338 patriot/ 338x300win sounds about right to me. I was seriously looking at it when I built my 7stw, but I still had a metric crap-ton of 7stw brass. I built another 7rum because I have a lot of that brass too. One of these days I'll fail a barrel and actually build one.

So Doctor Miller, I have just a few questions, " when you load for that 338WSM, with the 21 inch barrel, do you use powder with a faster burn rate then you would if the rifle had a 24 inch barrel?? ?" In order to get the desired velocity, "do you have to tolerate a much higher chamber pressure?" "Is it necessary to seat the bullet well off the lands so as not to incur a high pressure spike? " If the rifle is custom, "did you select a faster rate of twist due to the shorter length of the barrel? " I use IMR 4350 In my 20 inch 30-06 but I am trading somewhat less velocity ( only 2600/2650 fps) for a softer recoil. I agree with the suggestion previously given to me about using a powder with a faster burn rate, but I have not tried that yet.