Short barrel 1000 yard elk cartridge

I'm a big fan of monos

This has been an exciting "what gun do I need?". Ten pages of suggestions and even at least one new member to advice against the whole purpose of the rifle. A lot of awesome rifle/cartridge combinations.

What are you leaning towards? Will there be a purchase or are you on the fence?

If your ethics are in check I can't see a problem discussing them. I have zero issues discussing my long shots. In fact I enjoy it, hopefully sharing knowledge and changing opinions. I'm not sure avoiding the topic is the right thing. Being rude or insulting from either side is uncalled for and helps neither. Its not my site, and I respect private property though.

If your ethics are in check I can't see a problem discussing them. I have zero issues discussing my long shots. In fact I enjoy it, hopefully sharing knowledge and changing opinions. I'm not sure avoiding the topic is the right thing. Being rude or insulting from either side is uncalled for and helps neither. Its not my site, and I respect private property though.
Unfortunately, as you too may have also concluded, over at least the last 5-10 yrs, personal attacks .....being rude insulting vilifying is becoming or has become main stream as to how we are being given examples of dealing with differing opinions. Especially in the epidemic of "one-upmanship" in the area of tolerance, ethics, political, and social beliefs etc... It went from political weapons to finally weapons used to boost self importance. If someone does not compitulate to "my" views immediately move to personal attacks and threats etc........ Two current threads in this forum have examples of this. Its become so common place I doubt people even notice they are doing it at times. How many times do we see a comment about whatever topic that goes like this "............anyone that would think otherwise has to be a complete idiot" So right off the bat the person has labeled anyone with a differing opinion an idiot. Comments like that and much more direct are all over the place.

My grandfather had a large hand in molding my ethical core and he was a strong believer there was a very good reason we have 2 eye 2 ears 2 nostrils 2 hands 2 feet even 2 distinct sides to the brain but yet only one mouth (communication). The later should be the least used and much thought and consideration should happen before its use.

It maybe right or wrong but it has served me well. Never rush and always take the time to be very clear and concise in what you say; always consider your audience and how it will be translated to them as best you can. Speak to everyone as if they were a guest in your home...better yet you a guest in theirs.

IMO, words and the control of them are the most dangerous weapons in our world today as its never been easier to reach so many without having to truly take personal responsibility for them or to stifle them. I would say words (comms) have lead to more tragedy, suffering, and death then any other aspect of humanity. We have also never been more flippant and careless with them. They are more weaponized than possibly anytime in human history.

Last edited:
I find when someone starts to get nasty its best to stick to the facts. Ignore the insults and provide them facts. In my experience they will usually at least concede that maybe you have a point. Its when our side joins in with the insulting that we look as bad as them. We need to learn to have discussions with people who disagree in a civil way. Its the ONLY way to change their opinions. In my opinion most guys should not be taking 1kyd shots on game, but theres a few who can pull it off and theres facts to support that. A good rifle thats tuned well is capable of it, a good shooter that practices at that distance, and calm conditions make it a shot that those guys can pull off. It should not be taken lightly or thrown out like its easy. The LR hunting adverting that trys to make it look easy hurts our community more than helps IMO.

Last edited:
I find when someone starts to get nasty its best to stick to the facts. Ignore the insults and provide them facts. In my experience they will usually at least concede that maybe you have a point. Its when our side joins in with the insulting that we look as bad as them. We need to learn to have discussions with people who disagree in a civil way. Its the ONLY way to change their opinions. In my opinion most guys should not be taking 1kyd shots on game, but theres a few who can pull it off and theres facts to support that. A good rifle thats tuned well is capable of it, a good shooter that practices at that distance, and calm conditions make it a shot that those guys can pull off. It should not be taken lightly or thrown out like its easy. The LR hunting adverting that trys to make it look easy hurts our community more than helps IMO.
That's 100% true. TV programming where 800-1200 yard shots on big game animals doesn't help but we're all adults and should know our own personal limitations. Some don't and even the ones that do shoot regularly at those distances still don't account for conditions where those shots are taken. An 800-1000 yard shot on a deer is not quite the same as one on a paper or steel target. You get a do over on paper or steel. While I've taken those shots at 1000 on deer, the conditions are almost dead calm and so is the animal or I won't shoot. It's just not worth. I don't need a reason for my confidence to tank. Keep those at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.