Short barrel elk .308 cal elk rifle

6B9DE514-B612-4F48-A7C6-47D8A4D4EBB6.png
300 wsm. Can't beat the accuracy

Last edited:
I want to build short barrel .308 cal elk hunting rifle but not sure of performance capability. Considerations:
1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
3. 6-8 lbs build minus optic
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Is this possible using 300 PRC or should I go with something more compact ie 300 wsm etc?

Thoughts/recommendations.

Thx

It all comes down to your minimum impact velocity of where that bullet will still work good on the animal. What realistic maximum distance do you have in mind for this rifle in hunting conditions?

I want to build short barrel .308 cal elk hunting rifle but not sure of performance capability. Considerations:
1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Is this possible using 300 PRC or should I go with something more compact ie 300 wsm etc?

Thx
I think you're OK, just use a bullet that doesn't shed its mass so your penetration goes as deep as possible.

I was looking for the same type of thing, a while back. I don't build rifles, and customs are for the most part, out of my price range. I settled on a Winchester Model 70 Youth Compac. 18" bbl. It is short, light, and the length of pull is 3/4 " shorter than standard. Probably something to do with being a "Youth". But I like how it tucks in to my shoulder. It is .308, and I haven't tried anything over 400 yds. at the range, and I don't save all the stuff from the range like I probably should, but as I remember, the groups were right around 2". This was meant to replace Dads, ol' Model 70 purchased in 1961. I have the receipt, and for the rifle, K4 weaver scope, 4 boxes of shells, carry case, bore sight and carry strap, would you believe $161 ? Boy! Have those prices come along way. I just wanted to clean and put Dads away... Just my 2 cents, plus a Nickle...

1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Thx

Fast twist HEAVY 22" carbon wrapped barrel (remember that can is out their messing with your balance)

As fast a powder as possible

I would start at h1000 and try progressively faster powders

Make sure chamber is cut for your case/bullet oal

Make sure to start with bullet as deep as possible with minimal "dreaded doughnut" to allow recutting chamber a few times in future

I WOULD NOT CONSIDER 300WSM OR 300 WIN MAG FOR THIS AT ALL!!!
TO LITTLE NECK, TOO MUCH BULLET IN THE DREADED DOUGHNUT

Definitely 300 nosler, 300 rem ultra mag, lapua-lazzeroni-Jefferies parent case...

Your expecting a hell of a lot from a 22" barrel...

As a western Oregon western Washington elk hunter I found ways to make a 30" barrel with a 4" brake work...

Maybe you can use AT LEAST a 24" barrel plus your can?

Good luck!

I would love to see you post your success and what faster powder works for you in a 22" barrel!

Dont forget that unburnt powder is going to eat and erode your can entrance and first baffle something awful!!!

230 Berger at 2800fps will be AWESOME on elk!!!

I purchased a Savage 11 Lightweight hunter and had John Pierce build me a lightweight 308 short barrel medium range elk / mule deer rifle.

Used the Savage action with their competition accutrigger (red tang), Bartlien No.2 contour barrel and Manners stock with a Vortex Viper mounted in Talley rings. It's 7.5 pounds loaded. I could get below 7.5 with a lighter scope.

I load Berger 168 VLD Hunters in Lapua brass, jumped by the Berger regimen. MV is just below 2800 fps and it shoots sub MOA at 200 yards. Effective range is 500 yards or less which is fine with me as I'm a hunt and stalk person anyway. Pierce Engineering built me a fantastic and very light rifle that I use as my go to stick.

With a 308, don't expect a lot of energy past 500, it's not there. I have a 338 Lapua cannon for those 'long shots', but hardly ever use it.

Have shot and killed numerous animals over the years with it. Berger 168's with proper prep and loading always to the job for me. Excellent weight retention and excellent expansion.

One has to know the limits of any certain caliber.

Weight with me is the prime consideration, too old to be lugging a tank around. I may change out the optic next year to a Swaro, undecided on that as of yet. Really like to get below 7 pounds loaded.

The older I get (I'm almost 70 now), the lighter I want my stick to be.

IMO, 215 Bergers are just too heavy. Your bullet drop will be appreciable past 300 yards and you could very well run out of elevation adjustment on a longer shot.

Been my hands on experience that the 168's are the ideal bullet weight. I spent the better part of 3 months perfecting the load and tried various bullet weights and brands before deciding on the 168 Bergers, but then Btian Litz knows what he's doing. I like to glean shooting knowledge from people who know. He's one.

Last edited:
1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Thx
You might get a bit of muzzle flash with that...pack sunglasses :cool:

As a reference, 300 Norma Mag, 23in barrel, 215 Berger and I comfortably get 2,970fps with H1k. Run 7 Ultra can to boot. Norma will work against you on weight though as it needs larger bolt/action. Higher FPS are done with N570 and some other powders. Good luck.

1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Thx
for weight I would go bighorn action SA and a carbonfiber proof barrel along with a AG carbon fiber cat stock shoulder fit so you can switch barrels when you shot it out straigh jack armory might give you some insight for your rifle

1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Thx

1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Thx
Consider a .350 Rem Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.