1000+ yards/meters rifle cartridges

375rifleman

I was trying to find information on accurate rifle cartridges smaller (both in caliber and length) than that of the 308 winchester. I immediately went to the PPC based cartridges that are well-known for their inherent accuracy, but when I wanted to go to 1000+ yards/meters and have similar or superior ballistics than that of the 308 winchester my opinions became limited maybe the 6.5 Grendel or the 7mm Grendel. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts,opinions, or answers.

Superior is a very subjective term.

Superior in what/which category(s)?

Assuming you're reloading, you'll never beat the 308s energy with a 6.5 or 7mm Grendel but they'll be superior to the 308 in the recoil category.

If it's trajectory you're after, they all have similar potential.

If it's windage, again about the same.

What is it you're looking for? If it's matches, 260 rem is a great overall balance of recoil and wind fighting abilities. If it's 1000 yard deer hunting, the 708 is a bit better and the 308 better yet. It just depends on what you're after.

If I recall, doesn't Winchester make a super short magnum something? I think that's a shorter case than the 308 win family of cases.

And the 6.5 Creedmoor
And 6mm BR with fast twist 8 or 7.5
and
and
and

there are plenty

Ya and in bench i have a friend that has shoot WR with 6 mm dasher,the list goes on

6BR (and wildcats/improves base)
6XC
6 Creedmoore
6x47 Lapua
6.5XC
6.5 Creedmoore
6.5x47 Lapua
.260 Remington (Ackley)
6.5-284 Norma
6.5 SAUM
6.5 WSM
.284 Winchester
7 SAUM
7 WSM

These are just the ones off the top of my noggin'.

If you look at 1000 yard BR almost all the records are shot with 6 Dasher and 300 WSM. They are the 2 that most everybody is shooting. They are both very accurate and easy to tune. In F-class they use a lot of 284 Shehanes and 300 WSM's. There are also some other 7MM's in use there. They are only count score so they like ones that do better in wind drift. In benchrest they are mostly concerned about groups. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.