1000 yard club "-06" cartridges

GrayCheetah

I inherited a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 recently and wanted to know if it can be re-chambered conveniently for a 1000-1200 yard rifle. It will mainly be used for paper, but can be used for medium size game at that distance if needed. A few buddies of mine mentioned a 270, 280, or opening the bolt up for magnums.

FYI... I already have an M40a1 clone in 308 that i love for hunting/competition/paper punching. It's a great rifle, but the 308 cartridge seems to be limited beyond 600-800 yards.

I think you mean going with a new barrel in another caliber rather than re-chamber. Since you have a 30 caliber bore a 270 or 280 is not a "re-chamber" option. You would need to go with another barrel. Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply can really help you out with advice. Give him a call he is a great guy to do business with and check out the Rem/Age barrel options. A 26" Criterion barrel in .284 on that long action Remington would be a great combination.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

If I wanted to keep the bolt face the same I would get a new custom barrel and chamber for a 284 Shehane. If you wanted to open up the bolt face and install a sako extractor I would get a new custom barrel and build a 300 WSM. Both are real accurate paper punchers at 1000 yards. I would also get the barrel in a heavier version and have the gun pillar bedded. Matt

I inherited a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 recently and wanted to know if it can be re-chambered conveniently for a 1000-1200 yard rifle. It will mainly be used for paper, but can be used for medium size game at that distance if needed. A few buddies of mine mentioned a 270, 280, or opening the bolt up for magnums.

FYI... I already have an M40a1 clone in 308 that i love for hunting/competition/paper punching. It's a great rifle, but the 308 cartridge seems to be limited beyond 600-800 yards.

Go To = http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/bolt-face-diameters-36661/ and it will give you all of the choices you have with no bolt face changes.

The 280 would fall into this category well, even better yet the 280 AI (Has the ballistics of the 7 Rem Mag).

Some standard bolt face cartridges with bigger bodies will require some action rail mods.

J E CUSTOM

If you keep your bolt i'd look at 284, 284 shehane, 280, 280ai. Personally depending on how involved you want to be w/ fire forming, custom dies etc.. I would stick to what is conventionally made and x the shehane.

Or if you want to venture beyond 1k get a ptg bolt mag face and go w/ a 300wm, 7stw, or 7mm-300. It really depends on what you want to put into this free rifle of yours, and how much you're willing to put into the reloading end ($ and time).

To give you an idea my 28" 284 w/ 180gr pills has just over 1000 ft lbs at 1000yds.

Looks like you guys are consistent about the 284s over 270, 280, or Magnums for performance and gunsmith work so that's a plus :)

Looks like you guys are consistent about the 284s over 270, 280, or Magnums for performance and gunsmith work so that's a plus :)

284 and 280 are neck and neck, and both will fit the bill. I have both but I like the shorter case of the 284, to me it seems more stable when reloading. Thats just me. The team event at nationals was won by a group w/ a 280 in it, and I heard they cleaned house. First round (of 2)was perfect 200 per each member at 1k.

The 284 will also allows you to load long heavies and still feed through your mag, whereas the 280 can run into problems unless you modify or single feed.

I have a 284 win and I am building another I like it that much. Build it in a long action and give your self all the room that stout little case has to offer and you can really push the 168s and even the 180 at decent velocities. 1000 is no problem with this case, I wouldn't bother with the Shehane, I have heard the gains are minimal and you add a step in your reloading process.

The Shehane will give you 80 to 100 more. There is no extra step in loading. Just full length bump .002 after forming and go. You can even form and hunt with it. it will just be a little slower forming. I have shot world record groups fireforming in other calibers. But the regular 284 is good also but you can get the same or slightly more velocity with the Shehane and not pound the brass. the extra velocity. I like the extra velocity for wind drift. I see the F-Cjass guys saying the Shehane picks them up points because of wind drift. Matt

Last edited:

You might want to get on the 6BR site and lot of F-Class posters are using 284 and 284 Shehane.

I'm shooting 284 on long action and 280AI with 27 1/4" barrels. If I was looking at 1000yds paper I would do the Shehane. You have to realize F-Class is a score shoot it's not group.

Since you want to use the rifle for hunting also at that range may want to talk to J E Custom about what he recommend for hunting since this is a long range hunting site also.

The .280 and .284 are both the calibers of champions at 1000yrd F-Class. The AI and Shehane are the improved versions therof.

Really high BC .270 bullets aren't made by many companies because of the factory twists that the rifles come in.

I'm shooting 284 on long action and 280AI with 27 1/4" barrels. If I was looking at 1000yds paper I would do the Shehane. You have to realize F-Class is a score shoot it's not group.

A little misunderstanding. It was the team event and in the "group" of guys there was a 280, 284, and a 284 mod(not sure which mod).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.