1000 yards project

need advice guys. looking to put together 1000 yards rifle but for a budget. have a few things in mind, I want to hear some opinions.
I'm thinking about savage 6.5x284 norma or in a .308
a .300 winmag
7mm mag.
with the scope i think the Bushnell elite 6500 4.5 30x50. its the most reasonable one. Leupold vx-3 8.5-25x50 gets a bit pricy.not to mention the nightforce 5.5 22x50
I'm open for all suggestion
precision is important,dont care too much about over penetration. so let me just say that any where for a complete package between 1500-2000 is the budget. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=621111

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=621054

Look for a used but not mistreated 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. Bed the action, tune the trigger and install a JP precision brake. Order a Vortex Viper PST in Moa/Moa with SFP and a good quality 20 MOA rail base and some good tac rings. Then load up some 210 or 215 Bergers with H-1000.

I am putting one of these together now. I have done 3 others in the past. I will be very surprised if this one does not hold 1 moa at 1000.

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look for a used but not mistreated 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. Bed the action, tune the trigger and install a JP precision brake. Order a Vortex Viper PST in Moa/Moa with SFP and a good quality 20 MOA rail base and some good tac rings. Then load up some 210 or 215 Bergers with H-1000.

I am putting one of these together now. I have done 3 others in the past. I will be very surprised if this one does not hold 1 moa at 1000.

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
appreciate the info.
what about the scope options i had, whats your opinion on that?I see the vortex viper,not bad at all...which one of the Vortex u referring to?Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 or which one exactly????

appreciate the info.
what about the scope options i had, whats your opinion on that?I see the vortex viper,not bad at all...which one of the Vortex u referring to?Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50

The Bushnel is a good scope for the money. I just like the Vipers better. I know the Viper glass is great and the PST has a sort of zero stop. I have one on order in MOA/MOA and SFP for around $750. Best bang in the buck in my book.

Jeff

The Bushnel is a good scope for the money. I just like the Vipers better. I know the Viper glass is great and the PST has a sort of zero stop. I have one on order in MOA/MOA and SFP for around $750. Best bang in the buck in my book.

Jeff

which model exactly, i saw a few options

which model exactly, i saw a few options

The 6~24x50 PST, .25 MOA truuets, MOA reticle in Second Focal Plane is my choice.

I see it as a lot of scope for the money.

These old Rem Sendero's all shoot pretty darn good. They impress me as every one I have owned was a 1 moa 1000 yard rifle with a little tuning. I prefer the 300 win as the barrel life is very good. If buying used this is important.

Jeff

Broz hit the nail on the head. you cant get any better quality for the money than the Senduro's and the Viper PST's. I have a Viper PST and love it, I may actually sell my Mark 4 for one.

Broz hit the nail on the head. you cant get any better quality for the money than the Senduro's and the Viper PST's. I have a Viper PST and love it, I may actually sell my Mark 4 for one.

I get it. Looking for good deals. I also saw the nightforce br8-32x56 np-r2 for not a bad deal? as you guys said looking to get the best for the buck...
great info appreciate it. it helps alot

If you can find a good used Sendaro, I agree that it would make for a solid rig. I think the Savage LRH is a good alternative. I put one together in 6.5x284 for around $2000. Added Talley one piece rings, and a Huskemaw scope, and ended up with a .5MOA, 1000 yard shooter that will stand with my rifles costing more than twice that. No additional bucks needed for stock work, bedding, triggers, or anything else that could creep in and add unintended costs that might easily occur with an unknown, used rifle.

If you can find a good used Sendaro, I agree that it would make for a solid rig. I think the Savage LRH is a good alternative. I put one together in 6.5x284 for around $2000. Added Talley one piece rings, and a Huskemaw scope, and ended up with a .5MOA, 1000 yard shooter that will stand with my rifles costing more than twice that. No additional bucks needed for stock work, bedding, triggers, or anything else that could creep in and add unintended costs that might easily occur with an unknown, used rifle.

we talking about the Rem 700 Sendero II .300 win mag??? is that correct???:D

so far I'm getting lots of ideas, however it seems that half vote for the Rem 700 Sendero II 300 win mag and the other half vote for the Savage 6.5x284 Norma

decisions decisions, the 338 Laupa would be nice but a bit pricy so I would have to pass unless I find one used for a good deal of course. meanwhile I guess its down to this 2 choices.

so far I'm getting lots of ideas, however it seems that half vote for the Rem 700 Sendero II 300 win mag and the other half vote for the Savage 6.5x284 Norma.

I am refering to any Sendero in 300 win. The early black barreled ones with no fluting have been the ones I have worked mostly with.

The decision between the 6.5 and the 300win should be a personal use thing. They both will do well on targets. But the win is what I prefer for a hunting rifle. Especially if elk will ever be on the menu.

I will also say that the Savages are a good choice. I dont have personal experience with them like I do with the Sendero's. But I always see goo reports. But I would only opt for a model with a barrel contour similar to the Sendero and would look for a 26" as well.

Jeff

I am refering to any Sendero in 300 win. The early black barreled ones with no fluting have been the ones I have worked mostly with.

The decision between the 6.5 and the 300win should be a personal use thing. They both will do well on targets. But the win is what I prefer for a hunting rifle. Especially if elk will ever be on the menu.

I will also say that the Savages are a good choice. I dont have personal experience with them like I do with the Sendero's. But I always see goo reports. But I would only opt for a model with a barrel contour similar to the Sendero and would look for a 26" as well.

Jeff

thanks for all the help....lol I like the elk on the menu part...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.