What’s the best controlled expansion bullet?

I have used several GREAT bullets, some are: Nosler Accubond, Partition, ABLR, Swift A-Frame, Scirroco, Barnes TTSX, Woodleigh Weld Core RNSP & PP, Speer Grand Slam and Hot Cor…you will see a trend here, all but the TTSX are bonded in some way or another. The TTSX is the only bullet I have ever recovered with 100% weight retention and PERFECTLY mushroomed.
I have several examples of GREAT PERFORMING bullets that have done strange and weird things over the years.
I will never be negative about the Nosler Ballitic Tip because it works very well when the CORRECT weight for the cartridge it's being fired from is chosen and considered, albeit a misnomer using the 125g .308" cal in a 300RUM, BUT, it bloody works well!..

Cheers.

While you were actually somewhat specific…..the "hunting distances" creates a vast difference of opinions and skill sets! And, the size of game to be hunted!

Speaking only for myself, I'll not shot at game beyond 600 yards….I simply do not have the skillset to be comfortable beyond that.

So with my limitations……a Barnes TTSX on the LRX! My rifle/cartridge is easily 350 yards more capable than I …..if you use 2000 ft/lbs energy as your elk minimum!

In my application the LRX's are good from the muzzle to around 1000 yards. Many of the highly praised bullets are a poor choice of very close or steeply angled shots! If you absolutely know that you will not take those shots……you have a large field to work from! memtb
What cartridge are you shooting that maintains 2400fps to 1000yds?

While you were actually somewhat specific…..the "hunting distances" creates a vast difference of opinions and skill sets! And, the size of game to be hunted!

Speaking only for myself, I'll not shot at game beyond 600 yards….I simply do not have the skillset to be comfortable beyond that.

So with my limitations……a Barnes TTSX on the LRX! My rifle/cartridge is easily 350 yards more capable than I …..if you use 2000 ft/lbs energy as your elk minimum!

In my application the LRX's are good from the muzzle to around 1000 yards. Many of the highly praised bullets are a poor choice of very close or steeply angled shots! If you absolutely know that you will not take those shots……you have a large field to work from! memtb
I agree with memtb and share his sentiment. I am a huge fan of the LRX, I also tride out the badlands super bulldozer 2 this season and was very impressed. I'd take whichever of the two shoots better in my rifle.

I have had great success with the hammer hunter 124hh with my 6.5 prc. I took a doe at 605 yards this year and she died very quickly. I tried some barnes lrx 127 in my creedmoor they shot well out of it all the way out to 800 yards. My first animal with this load was a doe at 595 and it seemed awesome! I shot her behind the shoulder and she dropped immediately, done so I thought. I was closing my tower blind window when I noticed her stand up. I grabbed my binoculars and sure enough she was wobbling through the field. I ranged her again and now she was just over 600 yards. I dialed up and sent another shot down range and she dropped again. I walked to the truck and drove over to her and when I stepped out she stood up and ran. I couldn't believe it! She ran through the river and about 600 more yards before she died. First shot was behind the shoulder and the 2nd was a little high and further back. I'm not sure what happened.

What cartridge are you shooting that maintains 2400fps to 1000yds?

I had to go back to my post to check myself!

To clarify……my personal shot distance is 600 yards. If 2000 ft/lbs of energy at the target, using elk as an example, my cartridge is capable of producing 2000 ft/lbs …..350 yards beyond my self imposed range limit of 600 yards.

At my hunting area estimated elevation of 7500 feet, and using 40 degrees F as a mean average temperature, my cartridge/bullet is producing 2020 ft/lbs energy @ 950 yards!

I apologize for any confusion I may have made in my post. memtb

Last edited:
I had to go back to my post to check myself!

To clarify……my personal shot distance is 600 yards. If 2000 ft/lbs of energy at the target, using elk as an example, my cartridge is capable of producing 2000 ft/lbs …..350 yards beyond my self imposed range limit of 600 yards.

At my hunting area estimated elevation of 7500 feet, and using 40 degrees F as a mean average temperature, my cartridge/bullet is producing 2020 ft/lbs energy @ 950 yards!

I apologize for any confusion I may have made in my post. memtb
Those figures are doable with one of the extra large cartridges. 338 Edge will push a 300gr ABLR 2700fps out of a 26" barrel pretty easy. Super hard to do with many cartridges including the big mags.

Velocity is what controls expansion and what kills, using 2400fps as minimal velocity for expansion for a Barnes bullet and finding the yardage that you are at or above that is what would dictate that bullets effective range, energy doesn't factor in

I'm not certain where you get your expansion velocity numbers from….but, your numbers vary greatly from the numbers published by Barnes.

However, for my usage, your numbers are completely irrelevant as I fairly clearly stated that my personal range limits are 600 yards….Barnes states minimal expansion velocity for the LRX @ 1600 to 1800 fps. Within the atmospheric conditions I listed….I'm over 1800 fps @ 975 yards!

I only listed energy factors, as so many people have belief in them….however, I'm not one of those folks! memtb

I get those numbers from gel testing, tip deformation does not count as expansion in my book and thats what youll get at 1800 fps. You still haven't stated what cartridge you're using. And my numbers come from the claim you made in your post

Those figures are doable with one of the extra large cartridges. 338 Edge will push a 300gr ABLR 2700fps out of a 26" barrel pretty easy. Super hard to do with many cartridges including the big mags.

While I do not have the BC of the .338/300 grain ABLR, I'm getting 3100 mv with my 270 grain LRX. It's still giving decent velocities at fairly long (for me) ranges! memtb

I get those numbers from gel testing, tip deformation does not count as expansion in my book and thats what youll get at 1800 fps. You still haven't stated what cartridge you're using. And my numbers come from the claim you made in your post

Your correct, I never stated the cartridge or the bullet, as again….it was irrelevant to the post.

The Barnes website apparently contrasts with/contradicts " your book"!

However, I did offer this information in a response to Reelamin! memtb