What’s the best controlled expansion bullet?

OG-danimal

When I say "best" I'm talking about reliable and consistent performance. Accurate when hand loaded, with enough velocity to expand at "hunting" distances. Let me know your bullet and cartridge of choice. Talking all western game here.
Cheers

Accurate when hand loaded, with enough velocity to expand at "hunting" distances

While you were actually somewhat specific…..the "hunting distances" creates a vast difference of opinions and skill sets! And, the size of game to be hunted!

Speaking only for myself, I'll not shoot at game beyond 600 yards….I simply do not have the skillset to be comfortable beyond that.

So with my limitations……a Barnes TTSX on the LRX! My rifle/cartridge is easily 350 yards more capable than I …..if you use 2000 ft/lbs energy as your elk minimum!

In my application the LRX's are good from the muzzle to around 1000 yards. Many of the highly praised bullets are a poor choice of very close or steeply angled shots! If you absolutely know that you will not take those shots……you have a large field to work from! memtb

Last edited:
Myself I only shoot Cutting Edge Bullets been using them for over 12 years and have shot a lot of game animals with the bullets.....also do deer reduction shooting licensed by the State....I'am not a long range shooter much rather get as close as I can sort of like to get blood spattered on my boots from the gun shot....but I've been known to shoot several hundred yards if the need arises.....
Pretty much use 308 win. loaded with Cutting Edge Bullets 100 gr. Raptors .....most animals are ....DRT....also use there 130 gr Raptor for some of the bigger stuff....

There's 100 different correct answers to this. It depends on what your classification is of "hunting distances", as well as how much you expect it to expand. I personally feel the trophy bond series is the ideal combination of expansion and penetration. That includes the trophy bonded bear claw of old, the recently discontinued trophy bonded tip, and the new terminal ascent bullet. They're in the same boat as a swift scirocco II.

That said, they expand to about double the bullet width and don't lose any weight. Some folks would argue that larger expansion will benefit you more. Some argue that explosive expansion is ideal. It's so heavily preferential.

While you were actually somewhat specific…..the "hunting distances" creates a vast difference of opinions and skill sets! And, the size of game to be hunted!

Speaking only for myself, I'll not shot at game beyond 600 yards….I simply do not have the skillset to be comfortable beyond that.

So with my limitations……a Barnes TTSX on the LRX! My rifle/cartridge is easily 350 yards more capable than I …..if you use 2000 ft/lbs energy as your elk minimum!

In my application the LRX's are good from the muzzle to around 1000 yards. Many of the highly praised bullets are a poor choice of very close or steeply angled shots! If you absolutely know that you will not take those shots……you have a large field to work from! memtb
ditto, except my max is about 500 yds. I could probably do further, but i like em to not run down hill making the recovery harder for a 70 year old!! my guns are 1000 yd capable also.

ditto, except my max is about 500 yds. I could probably do further, but i like em to not run down hill making the recovery harder for a 70 year old!! my guns are 1000 yd capable also.

I fully understand! At just hitting 71, distance is "not" the only determining factor regarding if the shot is taken!

A few years ago, I passed on a relatively easy (theoretically speaking) shot on an elk @ just under 600. But……it was late evening, the elk closely surrounded by pretty dense timber/brush, and in an area with a good strong grizzly population.

I passed on the shot, , rather than risk wounding an elk and being forced to track/recover an elk after dark! Yep….I'm a wuss! 😉

Oh and, the wounded elk running downhill would have been a plus for my situation! 😁 memtb

Last edited:
I have gone to the Barnes LRX for most of my calibers now. I know when they hit with an impact velocity over 2400 FPS, performance is perfect. I have not taken any game past 500 yds, so I don't know what they will do past that point. i have also used the Hammer bullets on 4 game animals so far and all of them were hit with an impact velocity above 2400 FPS and performance was also perfect. In fact one animal that I took was immobilized and a follow up was required. When you get past 500 yds, bullet construction and size come into play more and more which is why the 338 lapua is used by many long distance marksmen.