What’s the optimal bullet weight for the 6.5 Creedmoor?

For factory ammo, the best ammo I found for my factory Tikka T3x was the Berger 135 Classic Hunters. I like the bullet better than the Hornady offerings and had the smallest groups with that. Plus, they use Lapua brass so you can save it to reload down the road, or sell it and make back a chunk of your money to offset the ammo cost.
Post #3 🤠

What a GREAT response!! Many thanks to all of you!!! In follow-up I did some more range work and now have tested the following loaded ammunition (unfortunately I'm not a reloader…):

1. Barnes with 120 ttsx
2. Hornady Superformance with 129 GMX
3. Choice Ammunition with 120 ttsx
4. Federal Premium - Trophy Copper 120
5. Winchester Deer Season - 125 XP

So far the Hornady's and the Winchester's are the clear winners. See 100yd target pic below - this is 4 shots each of the Hornady GMX and Winchester XP. Both are grouping at 5/8 - 3/4 inches. So for whitetail deer & antelope I'm thinking the Winchester's are a better bullet choice. What do you think?

However, I would be very remiss to not try the Hornady 140 ELD - M as strongly suggested by LR member Creedmoor Shooter. As he says "The 140 eld-m is your huckleberry. That's a very devastating bullet." Kinda hard not to follow that advice!!
The 140 is a fine bullet. I've shot a lot of game with them. I switched cause the hammers where much better in game.
That being said for factory ammo they are at the top of the list.

What a GREAT response!! Many thanks to all of you!!! In follow-up I did some more range work and now have tested the following loaded ammunition (unfortunately I'm not a reloader…):

1. Barnes with 120 ttsx
2. Hornady Superformance with 129 GMX
3. Choice Ammunition with 120 ttsx
4. Federal Premium - Trophy Copper 120
5. Winchester Deer Season - 125 XP

So far the Hornady's and the Winchester's are the clear winners. See 100yd target pic below - this is 4 shots each of the Hornady GMX and Winchester XP. Both are grouping at 5/8 - 3/4 inches. So for whitetail deer & antelope I'm thinking the Winchester's are a better bullet choice. What do you think?

However, I would be very remiss to not try the Hornady 140 ELD - M as strongly suggested by LR member Creedmoor Shooter. As he says "The 140 eld-m is your huckleberry. That's a very devastating bullet." Kinda hard not to follow that advice!!
Out of your list, I have only shot #5. See #30 of https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/i-got-my-first-6-5-cm-for-20.201958 /page-3. While it shot extremely well, YMMV because of variations from lot to lot as indicative of the target yields between two lot numbers.

Factory Loads: Most Tikka's like the Berger 135 Classic Hunter factory loads. Not sure about the Franchi, but it might be worth a try.

Available now:
This is the ammo I'm shooting!! Grouped very well and 1 DRT this season. Thanks for all the advice.

We shoot the 130 OTMs in our 6.5CM and 6.5SLR.
Mule deer bucks from 145, 199, 454, 532, 637.
Pronghorn bucks from 260, 331, 381, 391, 771.
Mine shoots those very well also.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpeg
    IMG_1260.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for the advice guys! Does anyone else have any insights on factory loaded ammunition for the 6.5 Creedmoor? And anything on factory loads that your Franchi Momentum (in 6.5 Creedmoor) would be amazing!!
what'll you be using it on and to what ranges on a consistent basis?

My little woman shoots the 130 grain Hornady Cx great wound channel completely passed Thur front shoulder to opposite back leg guts intestines what a mess didn't go 30 yards

Recent Posts