Shootability vs. Packability. What is the optimal rifle weight?

Youth certainly has its advantages.
Lol. Touche. I'm 34 though. My point is that you can pack heavier equipment overall if your physically fit enough to do it. Physical fitness can be achieved at any age. You can also be physically unfit at any age. I've had twenty year old guys that couldn't keep up with me on backpacking hunts and I've hunted with 41 year old guys that I couldn't keep up with even if I wanted to when it comes to rucking.

It uploaded one of my pics. So here's another one. Like a proud Dad. My 270 wsm Tikka T3 with Manners stock, K&P match grade 1:8 barrel, carbon fiber bolt handle, vortex fluted bolt, Leupold VX3i 4.5-15x50 CDS wind plex reticle. Cerakote finish. 7.9 lbs fully loaded with sling. Shoots out to a grand so far just over 1/2 moa. 170 grain Berger EOL's at 2980 fps. Flat nasty mountain rifle!

Attachments

• 20180919_000634.jpg
    20180919_000634.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 153
I know there are going to be a lot of varying opinions here, but I'm interested in what the long range hunting community has to say. A few years back, I bought a 7mm WSM with a Manners T4 and M24 Broughton barrel. The rifle's total weight is 14lbs with a bipod. When I got the rifle, I thought to myself, "I'm never going to hunt with this thing. It's way too heavy!" However, I quickly fell in love with the weight and balance which makes it so easy to shoot. Everyone who gets behind it shoots it well. That is how a gun 'I was never going to hunt with' has turned into my go to hunting rifle. My brothers-in-law have killed all their deer with it over the last three years, and last year my wife shot an elk at 585 yards with it. Even though it's 14lbs, I never hesitate to bring it along.

Most people I speak with who want a long range hunting rifle, but haven't shot a ton, want a sub 10lb rifle. I try to tell them that there are some advantages to weight, but it's hard to change their mind until they shoot a few different rifles--from light to heavy--side by side. Then they start to lean toward the heavy guns. For you long range hunters, what is your perfect balance between shootability and packability?

My 30 Nosler M48 Liberty weighs in at around 10 lbs, Rifle, Leupold 3-18x50 Scope, Mounts and sling. Shoots 210 LR Accubonds very well. I haven't worked up a load for it yet but plan on trying Berger 210 Hybrids, Hornady 212 ELD-X and Barnes 200 LR X-Bullets. I'm sure I'll find a sub half moa load for it. My Kimber Montana in 270 WSM shoots 1/2" Groups with 129 gr Barnes LR X Bullets @ 3,398 fps Over Reloader 22. My wife's Kimber Mountain Ascent weighs less than 7 lbs with a 3-15 Zeiss, mounts, sling, cartridges, etc. It shoots 145 gr Barnes LR X Bullets over H414 @ 2,802 fps into a 3/8" group @ 100 yards. I don't know that weight has anything to do with it. I have a Craig's Custom Rifles in 338-375 Ruger, 4-16 ATACR, 26" Brux in a Defiance action, Atlas Bipod, Terminator 2 Brake, Mc Game Warden Stock, that loves Berger 300 gr Bullets but it's like carrying a railroad tie along so it's a target rifle. I don't need a Rifle the weight of an anvil to put Bullets in something.

Lol. Touche. I'm 34 though. My point is that you can pack heavier equipment overall if your physically fit enough to do it. Physical fitness can be achieved at any age. You can also be physically unfit at any age. I've had twenty year old guys that couldn't keep up with me on backpacking hunts and I've hunted with 41 year old guys that I couldn't keep up with even if I wanted to when it comes to rucking.

I am a monster of a guy, at least my kids used to think I was when they were little. I'm 5'7" and 155 pounds. Last time my son-in-law went with me he said, "O, go ahead, Rich. I can't keep up with you." When I was in my thirties I and a couple teen agers killed a couple deer down in a canyon. I told them, "If you will gut my deer I will carries yours up to the road." My rifle was eleven pounds and I never noticed its weight. I don't think I could I carry a deer out of the canyon anymore.

I could get by with out a sling except when I use binoculars. Then I shoulder it. The rest of the time I carry it. Both my rifles now weigh 7 LB 4 oz ready to go.

If you plan on packing out hundreds pounds of meat, then it would seem the weight of the rifle should not be of concern. Second is where are you going to hunt. If you are in heavily wooded steep mountain terrain where you are lucky to see more than 50 yards then light is the way to go. Otherwise an accurate shot is what you need and that means mass.
You only carry the meat out once, you carry the rifle all day every day while looking for that meat on the hoof.

Mountain hunting is as much mountaineering as it is hunting and as you get older particularly, every ounce counts.

If you plan on packing out hundreds pounds of meat, then it would seem the weight of the rifle should not be of concern. Second is where are you going to hunt. If you are in heavily wooded steep mountain terrain where you are lucky to see more than 50 yards then light is the way to go. Otherwise an accurate shot is what you need and that means mass.

Not to mean disrespect....but unless you are a very successful hunter, you will carry the rifle many hours more than game killed. Also, most lighter weight rifles can be exceedingly accurate, some will maintain accuracy through a several shot string.....unlikely in a hunting scenario. The accuracy of the first shot is "generally" the most important shot! memtb

I have two rifles that I have backpacked with, one is a fairly well known semi-custom rifle maker's "sheep rifle" in .300WSM with Swarovski Z6 2-12, the other one of the newer to the party custom rifles in .28 Nosler with Nightforce NXS 5.5-22. Remarkably, ones weights 9.2 and the other 9.3. I have ditched the bi-pod and go with resting on my backpack.

8 or 12 lbs for my go to rifles.

18+ lbs for my Bean counter.
Extra long and heavy to make sure those lead pills are on target .

It might not be the long distance pack rifle, but when I take it to the hunting grounds it deffinatly fills the freezer every time.

Land canons are the best. Ha

I packed a 14 pounder around for a few years as my long range marmot rifle. Those hunts are all above timberline mostly around 12000'. 2 years ago it became painful lugging that rifle and associated gear around so I went to an 11 pound 22-250, my prairie dog rifle. Then it was a 10 lb .270 WSM. This fall it was a freedom arms .454 Casull. I hunted elk with it to. I've lost 35 lbs since new year day, work a ranch and fast walk a 4 mile loop most days. Even with that, at 60 this back and shoulders necessitate light weight everything. I ordered a 5 lb NULA in .284 a month ago. Most of my elk have been taken within 200 yds. I've owned 3 Kimbers and really like an ultralight. They worked good for me on marmots to 500 yds. The lighter I can travel the more I enjoy the hunt.

There comes a point in your life where you start paying for all of those years of staying fit and challenging your body in every way and when you get there your ankles, knees, and hips will let you know.

Many of us have crossed that barrier and found there's no coming back even after surgery.

More commonly though, most people simply cannot stay in that kind of shape because they are too busy working and raising families.

There comes a point in your life where you start paying for all of those years of staying fit and challenging your body in every way and when you get there your ankles, knees, and hips will let you know.

Many of us have crossed that barrier and found there's no coming back even after surgery.

More commonly though, most people simply cannot stay in that kind of shape because they are too busy working and raising families.
you forgot one spot--the back--ugh!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.